Itinerary Advice

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

IRFirstTimer
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Itinerary Advice

Post by IRFirstTimer »

Hi all,

I'm going backpacking at IR with three other guys (all 20 years old) in early August and it is all of our first times at Isle Royale. We are all in pretty good shape and have done week-long backpacking trips in the past. We're super excited but wanted to run our itinerary by you all to see if you have any advice or suggestions to help us enjoy our time on the island even more. The trip planning spreadsheet that Ingo posted was extremely helpful and fun to use when planning out routes.

Here's our current plan but we are open for suggestions to improve our route:

8/5 - Ferry from Copper Harbor to Rock Harbor; Rock Harbor Dock to Lane Cove (7.2 mi)
8/6 - Lane Cove to West Chickenbone (12.7 mi)
8/7 - West Chickenbone to Todd Harbor (11.4 mi - planning to go via Hatchet Lake to see more of the Greenstone)
8/8 - Todd Harbor to McCargoe Cove (6.6 mi)
8/9 - McCargoe Cove to Moskey Basin (9.4 mi)
8/10 - Moskey Basin to Three Mile (11.9 mi)
8/11 - Scoville Point Loop in the morning, leave on ferry in the afternoon

Any input would be greatly appreciated, either about the proposed route or general info we should know before heading off to the island. Thank you in advance for your help!
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: Itinerary Advice

Post by torpified »

Your account of your background makes it sound like you can handle the mileages contemplated--- and because you're not locked into your itinerary and have done your homework, you can revise as the trip unfolds, if you discover reasons to. And I like the idea of doing the WCB-Hatchet-Todd Harbor -McCargo subloop clockwise, like you're planning it. For my money, the stretch on the Minong (including the mine!) is the most fun part of that subloop, and you're saving it for last!
IRFirstTimer
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by IRFirstTimer »

Thanks for your input! We'll definitely make sure to check out the mine.
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

You will see a lot of the eastern and central parts of the island. Are you planning to fish? Just curious because you have directed1 your route through a lot of fishing hotspot some. If you just want to get out there and hike, you might prefer heading the length of the Greenstone Ridge and back on the Minong. The campsites are spaced out further and timing and “hiker care” is less obvious, and you will see less kihers on the trail with you..
ejande
NewbieCake

Post by ejande »

I think this is a great itinerary. I think Moskey and Three Mile are better options than Daisy Farm. The distances are appropriate and you will see a lot of different things.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I really like your itinerary. Bobcat is correct about the fishing opportunities.