July Bugs and Permethrin

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

bighammer
NewbieCake

July Bugs and Permethrin

Post by bighammer »

I've had good results with treating clothing with Permethrin, but I keep wondering if it's really enough with July mosquitoes on IR. My son, a good friend and I are planning to hike the Feldtman Loop in a little over a week, and I'm wondering if bug nets are overkill or a necessity.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: July Bugs and Permethrin

Post by Midwest Ed »

The bug net I have is the kind without a built-in hat. As a result it folds down (kinds Of winds up actually) into almost no space and weighs almost nothing nothing ( just a few ounces). This is a very small price to pay for the high value insurance it provides. You might never need it until that one evening when you arrive late and are trying to cook dinner in the dark while being terribly swarmed. Without the protection I might just go to bed without dinner.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
bighammer
NewbieCake

Post by bighammer »

Thanks for the reply. If they are thick, my clothing treatment might not keep them out of my eyes, ears, etc.

No bug problems, but rain events on the AT had me cooking "indoors" (in my tent) a couple times.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I always take my headnet for the reasons Ed says.

That one time you need it, but don't have it makes it worth the extra ounce.