Bugs and best weather reports

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

Geoman
NewbieCake

Bugs and best weather reports

Post by Geoman »

Hi! First post here and first trip to the island, I can’t wait!

A buddy and I will be backpacking on the island 6/20-6/24. I’ll post a full trip itinerary this evening, but we’re both geologists so if anyone wants to talk rocks come find us!

First question: it sounds like the bugs aren’t bad (yet). Maybe the cool weather is keeping them down? Regardless, I want to be clear on this “bug dope” I hear people talking about. Is it just bug spray? Any bug reports and bug tips would be greatly appreciated as well!

Second question: where’s the best place to get a weather report for our time there? The app I use (Dark Sky) appears to give Eagle Harbor weather when I go to IRNP forecasts.

Thanks in advance, and I can’t wait to see y’all on the island!
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Bugs and best weather reports

Post by Tom »

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, "bug dope" is the generic term for insect repellent of your choice. I personally use a cream based lotion since it travels well in a backpack, and can be applied in a very targeted manner. A headnet is also a good safety item, but I've only used them while in camp.
I returned last Thursday and bugs had not gotten bad, but the island is still quite cool, especially at night.

IMHO, the best and only official weather forecast is the Isle Royale Recreational Forecast put out by the National Weather Service in Marquette: https://forecast.weather.gov/product.ph ... glossary=1
It is released twice a day, and to the best of my knowledge is the only 'human reviewed' forecast, per se. Many of the various online services either use local shoreline (mainland) land points and don't quite forecast for "out in the middle of a big cold lake" as well.
This is also the forecast posted at the ranger stations. Pro tip: When you arrive to get your permit, take a picture of the most recent forecast. You can look back on it later.

Enjoy the geology! IR has many fascinating rock formations to explore!
GreenstoneGreenhorn1
NewbieCake

Post by GreenstoneGreenhorn1 »

I just got back from the Island last night. Was there from 6/22-6/27-19, did the Greenstone from Rock Harbor to Windigo. Bugs were not bad at all which was quite a surprise for me since I've heard they can swarm, 3 bug bites in 7 days is not bad! Everyone in our group bought a "Bug Shirt" which is basically a long sleeve shirt that has been treated with the Insectashield Technology. We wore them all week and literally the shirts do repel bugs (quite a surprise!). I definitely recommend getting one. The mosquitos are also very slow so we noticed that even if they did land on you, they were easy to flick off before they even thought about biting. There was only about a 1/2 mile segment from S Lake Desor to Windigo, between the boards and Isle Mine Junction(?) where we all contemplated putting on our headnets. We would also dab on the Ultrathon Mosquito Repellant to hands, necks, and hairline. I will be posting my trip report soon so keep a look out for other details if interested!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

GreenstoneGreenhorn1 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:57 amEveryone in our group bought a "Bug Shirt" which is basically a long sleeve shirt that has been treated with the Insectashield Technology. We wore them all week and literally the shirts do repel bugs (quite a surprise!). I definitely recommend getting one.
I searched this product and if I found the correct one it is a Permethrin based treatment. Indeed Permethrin has proven effective and I have also successfully used it. I'm not sure of the cost of buying pre-treated clothing. I've also heard of facilities that will treat and return clothing sent to them.

Buying bulk Permethrin, diluting it appropriately and treating my own clothes, while using appropriate health and safety precautions (such as gloves) has proven quite easy and cost effective.

I'm glad you had a good experience. I've read online that the black fly season has already peaked and past in the Keweenaw. Maybe not super useful knowledge but interesting nonetheless. I've been in the Keweenaw in late July when the black flies were still terrible in some areas.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
GreenstoneGreenhorn1
NewbieCake

Post by GreenstoneGreenhorn1 »

Midwest Ed, thanks for the info on Permethrin, I will definitely try doing a treatment of clothing for potential future trips!
Duffy Moon
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Duffy Moon »

Tom wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:47 am
IMHO, the best and only official weather forecast is the Isle Royale Recreational Forecast put out by the National Weather Service in Marquette: https://forecast.weather.gov/product.ph ... glossary=1
It is released twice a day, and to the best of my knowledge is the only 'human reviewed' forecast, per se. Many of the various online services either use local shoreline (mainland) land points and don't quite forecast for "out in the middle of a big cold lake" as well.
This is also the forecast posted at the ranger stations. Pro tip: When you arrive to get your permit, take a picture of the most recent forecast. You can look back on it later.
Thanks, Tom, for this link and info. I just now realized (two days before departure/arrival) that the weather forecast I've been obsessively checking for "Rock Harbor Lodge" is actually for the Houghton, MI address. Which is probably just not accurate at all for the island! Switching now to your source. Thanks again!