Paddling/Fishing

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Tbell
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Paddling/Fishing

Post by Tbell »

Hi! This is my first post in the forums. My buddy and I are going out to the island on Sunday, August 25 and returning on the next Monday which is the 2nd of September. We are canoeing and putting a lot of emphasis on fishing. This is our second trip to the island, but our first time canoeing it. Our tentative plan is to paddle from rock harbor to belle isle, from there, paddle to McCargoe (hopefully the weather allows it), spend the next night at Richie, probably two nights at Chippewa Harbor, another night at Richie, and then stay somewhere between Moskey and the rock harbor docks on our final night. During our stays at Richie and Chippewa, we are most likely going to take day trips to whittlesey, wood, Siskiwit and maybe intermediate lake. I’ve read a lot of the posts on these forums, but figured I’d see if I couldn’t pull a last morsel or two of information before we head out. I’d love to catch lake trout or any of the other trout/salmon species around but am worried I may not be able to fish deep enough for them. Jigging isn’t my favorite, but if I can catch a lake trout for dinner, I guess I can live with it!!! Thanks!!!!

Trent
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Paddling/Fishing

Post by johnhens »

If you have read other posts about canoing IR, you know of the hazzards that can occur if the wind picks up. If you haven't, Blake Pt., Hill Pt, Locke Pt can be dangerous if the lake is kicking up. If you get to Belle Isle, there are reefs between Belle and Johnson Is. You can trying jigging or trolling with deep diving crankbaits and spoons. I like KO Wobblers. I will mention the inside paddle to Pickerel Cove is an option if the lake is kicking up. Still can get rough conditions between Pickerel and McCargoe. Having a VHF for weather or a weather radio is advised. You might get pike in McCargoe.In Chippewa, heading to Whittlesley, you go through a neck, off to the left is a little bay, we have done well in there for pike. Whittlesey can be good for Walleye off the CG. If you get to Siskiwit, the reefs as you enter it from Wood might hold lake trout. We have done well in Spring and Fall there. Paddling back to RH from Moskey, as you get close to the narrows at the east end of Moskey, troll deep divers through there for lake trout. If it is not rough, Middle Passage (lighthouse) can hold fish. September can be good as the deep fish will start to come shallow to feed. Good luck!! Let us know how you do!!
Tbell
NewbieCake

Post by Tbell »

Thank you John! We will be very careful with the weather on superior! I’ve grown up next to her and I’ve seen some pretty scary conditions (never from a canoe thankfully). I have to go back to school at MTU right after our trip hopefully I will find some time to give a report on the trip!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

First, everything I know about fishing I know from johnhens :D . He's caught a whole lot more fish than I have! The one lake trout I've caught was off the west end of Johnson Is. in Belle Harbor with a blue little cleo (his advice).
Talk to the campground hosts at Belle Isle--they can tell you the current hot spots. Sometimes boats will give up some hints, but they tend to fish more offshore.
For northern, try the north shore of the island in Duncan Bay (take the longer route around the east end) and Brady Cove at the entrance of McCargoe Cove. Also the bay on the south side of Siskiwit near Wood Lake and the narrows into Wood. Also had a blast one morning catching small northern in the creek running into Chippewa from Ritchie--although maybe only a couple keepers they were hitting like crazy on floating rapalas.
Have a great trip!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tbell
NewbieCake

Post by Tbell »

Thanks you! I can’t wait to get back out there. Such an amazing place.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Ingo wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:17 am First, everything I know about fishing I know from johnhens :D . He's caught a whole lot more fish than I have! The one lake trout I've caught was off the west end of Johnson Is. in Belle Harbor with a blue little cleo (his advice).
Talk to the campground hosts at Belle Isle--they can tell you the current hot spots. Sometimes boats will give up some hints, but they tend to fish more offshore.
For northern, try the north shore of the island in Duncan Bay (take the longer route around the east end) and Brady Cove at the entrance of McCargoe Cove. Also the bay on the south side of Siskiwit near Wood Lake and the narrows into Wood. Also had a blast one morning catching small northern in the creek running into Chippewa from Ritchie--although maybe only a couple keepers they were hitting like crazy on floating rapalas.
Have a great trip!
After 33 trips, you're bound to learn a thing or two. I've come to the conclusion that Johnhens is a walking encyclopedia on ISRO.
4gen
NewbieCake

Post by 4gen »

2 years ago we did the trip fro McCargoe to Richie Canoe campground(go to the canoe camp verses regular camp worth the short paddle) to Malone. We took our time, but the mile portage to Chickenbone portage was longer than it looked and everything heading to Richie was straight up then tapered down to the other portages. We got dropped of at McCargoe so we started just after lunch, and we broke it up for 2 days. The portages down to Intermediate, Siskwit, Whittlesley were not bad at all. I have heard the portage from Chippewa Harbor to Richie is a monster and just a brutal portage, I stress I have heard I cannot confirm.

We just got back from the island on 8/9 and the portage from Richie to Moskey is NOT something to be overlooked. This portaged like a 2.5 mile portage and although it is beautiful it is a very long portage. We had 3 canoes with 6 guys and we were so happy to get done and into the water at 5PM Caribou island was a great place but crowded by boats. If we were going to do it again we would have stayed at Daisy Farm.

Now to serious stuff Fishing!
Chickenbone Lake - Jointed Perch cranks that dive around 12' work great for walleyes and pike and a couple of perch. I believe they are the faded yellow perch Husky Jerks.

Richie - Pike are just ferocious they will hit anything, Perch Cranks, Swimbaits and any spoons you throw at them 26"-29" are the normal and you will get sick of catching them. There are some nice perch if you can get them to the boat.

Siskiwit - Same jointed perch crank but the darker and brighter worked a little better for Pike and then any trolling spoon set out about 150- 250' with a 4-6 oz. drop weight in 100' of water will get a steady pull from lakers. You can get over them in 65'- 125' with 1 oz. jigs and white paddle tails and jig them up, just try to rip their lips off they are hard to keep the hook with their hard mouths.

Whittlesley - Jointed perch will catch more walleyes then you can eat. it's a day paddle from Malone we caught our suppers worth and could've kept going but had to get cleaning for dinner and paddle back to Malone, they were perfect eating size.

Just my 2 cents worth, I stress this is what worked for us!
Tbell
NewbieCake

Post by Tbell »

Thank you! Everything helps and this is a lot of great information. Especially since it was about the same time of year.