Voyageurs

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Voyageurs

Post by Ingo »

Talking about doing a sail camping trip with my brother in Voyageurs Nat'l Park next summer. Have never been, so any suggestions on campsites, lakes, etc. would be much appreciated! My brother's boat is a Welsford Navigator which he sails out of Superior, WI.
timsboat.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Re: Voyageurs

Post by kolo »

Ingo,

I am also planning my first trip there after buying my first canoe this fall. I am tentatively planning on July sometime. It would be neat to cross paths with you as you were helpful when I planned my first canoe trip to Isle Royale. As a side note, my mother lives in Aberdeen, NC and I have driven there the last two summers to see her. Way too much driving!!!
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Pay attention to which campsites have a dock, and the depth, to accommodate the daggerboard of a sailboat. Many of the sites at Voyagers have docks, but some of them have sand or rock which would be tough with a sailboat. I did a lot of kayak camping at Voyagers back when it was free. Current rules require you to reserve and pay for your camping itinerary in advance, which does guarantee you the site but makes no allowance for weather, which impacts sailing and paddling!
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Ready to go in a couple weeks. Plan to sail about 15 miles down Rainy Lake and spend a couple days exploring and fishing.
Day 1 Harrison Bay, 3 miles - sand beach.
Day 2-4 Nelson Island, 13 miles - dock. May try to get to Kettle falls on a day trip (25+ miles)--will see what the weather's like and how we feel about a long day in a small boat.
Day 5 Arden Island, 9 miles - dock.
Day 6, 7 miles to visitors center.

Brother says the boat beaches well, and the only problem he's had is small pebbles jamming the centerboard. We'll have a couple anchors and enough line to keep her off the beach if necessary.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
newb2019
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by newb2019 »

Our rented houseboat moored at Blind Indian Narrows S.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Did not see this, excited for your trip, will be interested in your experiences. We have talked of kayaking there. Does he have an auxillary motor of some sort?
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

johnhens wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:54 am Does he have an auxillary motor of some sort?
This trip was his incentive to pick up a 2hp 4-stroke Honda.
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

I will be curious to hear what you think of Brule Narrows; that is a spot they always warn small craft about, for wind funnel and potentially rough conditions. I never did that section.

If you donT make it to Kettle Falls, Anderson Bay might be worth a stop. It’s one of the most scenic sections of a very scenic park!
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Life throws you a curve sometimes—unfortunately this trip is off for this year.
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Bummer. Hope the curve didn’t strike you out, and you and your brother can try this another time!
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

Nice!
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

Ingo,

I just read that a 62 year old woman was killed by a black bear at Voyageurs. The woman was staying at a cabin on Red Pine Island at Rainy Lake with her 80 year old parents. It is tragic and pretty rare. I read it in the Billings Gazette, in case you are interested.
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Minnesota sources are reporting the death by bear mauling, on Red Pine Island in Ontario waters, north of Voyageurs NP. I wonder what happened? Says she went out to check on her dogs.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

kolo wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:59 pm Ingo,

I just read that a 62 year old woman was killed by a black bear at Voyageurs. The woman was staying at a cabin on Red Pine Island at Rainy Lake with her 80 year old parents. It is tragic and pretty rare. I read it in the Billings Gazette, in case you are interested.
Yeah, I saw that. Extremely rare for black bear, but not unheard of.