Toilet Paper

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

HoosierHiker1202
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Toilet Paper

Post by HoosierHiker1202 »

Sorry for what may seem like a ridiculous question, but I’ve read that each of the campgrounds have outhouses. Do they, um, come stocked with their own TP, or should I plan accordingly? Thanks for your help on this one.
First trip- June 2021 - Windigo to Rock Harbor
June 2022 - Moosewatch for Educators
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Toilet Paper

Post by Ingo »

The outhouses are stocked, but that doesn't mean they won't be out. I've always brought some and rarely needed it, until my last trip when we were seriously rationing because none had any--but it was Sept so they probably weren't restocking. So it really depends on how comfortable you are with the alternative backups.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

They are usually stocked, but with it being closer to the park closing, the likelihood of anything being available is shrinking.

So, always bring your own roll! You never know. Plus, if you still have it when you leave the island, be a "trail angel" and leave it in the last outhouse you were at...pay it forward!
HoosierHiker1202
NewbieCake

Post by HoosierHiker1202 »

Thanks; my trip isn’t until end of June, so it sounds like I should be pretty safe, though I’ll certainly have some just in case. For the record, I’m really not a fan of the alternatives.
First trip- June 2021 - Windigo to Rock Harbor
June 2022 - Moosewatch for Educators
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

They're stocked with John Wayne Paper. Rough, tough and doesn't take crap off anybody.

I'm a fan of BYOTP.
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Also some of the outhouses roofs leak and the nicely stocked supply gets wet. Always bring some of your own, and if needed stock up a bit when there is ample supply.
frafenaf
NewbieCake

Post by frafenaf »

There was no TP at North Lake Desor or Little Todd last week. I bumped into a ranger at LT and mentioned it and the look he gave me led me to think I was being ridiculous even expecting it there. But he nodded solemnly and went on about his work.
Duffy Moon
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Duffy Moon »

Just returned from IR on Saturday, and we found pretty nearly all latrines had TP; some were running low, and some looked like a hoarder's bathroom. Hit or miss, is what I'm saying. All had some, and some had all. (This was all along the Rock Harbor campgrounds - RH, 3M, DF, MB - and also LR.)
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Our last trip we started rationing because every privy's tp was empty except windigo. The previous year we had no issues and it was pretty well stocked. I would say it is a shot in the dark whether you'll have a bunch or none at all. Plan to bring enough for yourself.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I think that for those that bring and use their own TP, and in keeping with the spirit of LNT, that same used tissue should be carried out as well. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

Only the campgrounds along the shore/with docks have outhouses that are stocked with TP (though they can run out).
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

I always take my own. I take it off the cardboard roll so it stores flat, and have the nice cozy brand I always use. I also never have to wonder if there will be some at my next stop.
Jon Prain
NewbieCake

Post by Jon Prain »

Toilet paper is ONLY provided in the outhouses at campgrounds along LAKE SUPERIOR that are easily accessible by boats. Campgrounds on inland lakes DO NOT have toilet paper. Plus, it is not uncommon for outhouses to have run out of toilet paper. Thus, it is always best to bring you own toilet paper.
3MTA3
NewbieCake

Post by 3MTA3 »

Most of the outhouses I've encountered on the island have been surprisingly nice. That said....

One trick I've come up with is to put a matchbook in the plastic bag with your TP. Use the matches to cover some of the more ripe smelling outhouses located at the more popular campgrounds (like Daisy Farm). Just light a match, blow it out near your nose, and enjoy the smell of sulfur dioxide over all of the previous visitors to that outhouse - even if it's for a short time.
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

3MTA3 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:00 pm Most of the outhouses I've encountered on the island have been surprisingly nice. That said....

One trick I've come up with is to put a matchbook in the plastic bag with your TP. Use the matches to cover some of the more ripe smelling outhouses located at the more popular campgrounds (like Daisy Farm). Just light a match, blow it out near your nose, and enjoy the smell of sulfur dioxide over all of the previous visitors to that outhouse - even if it's for a short time.
I can't lie. This is the first thing that came to my mind.