Autumn Satellite Imagery

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Autumn Satellite Imagery

Post by Midwest Ed »

This is from the NOAA's color imagery of the Lake Superior Region. It's not a high quality image but I thought it was interesting from the viewpoint that it demonstrates where most of the hardwoods/Sugar Maples are located. I'm missing my usual Autumn trip to the U.P. this year.
IRFallColors.png
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
bobcat
Bushwacker

Re: Autumn Satellite Imagery

Post by bobcat »

My first trip to Isle Royale was in late September. Island Mine was absolutely gorgeous at that time of year! But the nights were very cold.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I've never been to Isle Royale when the leaves are changing colors...this makes me sad that I still haven't seen that.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Drove across the UP earlier this week--great color, somewhat past peak, but still gorgeous.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

one of caltopo's base layers is a weekly high resolution satellite image. I've used the feature obsessively to try to gauge snow cover on routes I wanted to hike. It didn't occur to me that leaves would show up too! The most recent image of IR was occluded by cloud cover. This one, from a week ago, although partially clouded over, is pretty cool:

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=47.9729 ... tc-7&a=mba

(I hope the link works. I think the images are refreshed on Thursdays.)