Isle Royale and Keweenaw Botany Workshops

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Isle Royale and Keweenaw Botany Workshops

Post by Keweenaw »

IRKPA (Isle Royale and Keweenaw Parks Association) is again sponsoring two botany workshops this coming summer. The following is the announcement from the instructor, Janet Marr:

Registration is now open for two 2020 Plant Identification (I.D.) workshops*, both of which will be held in Michigan's western Upper Peninsula near the shore of scenic Lake Superior on:
1. Isle Royale National Park (June 8-13), based at Rock Harbor, and
2. Keweenaw Peninsula (July 7-9), based in Copper Harbor, Michigan's northernmost village.

This is an excellent chance to visit a remote and wild portion of the northernmost part of Michigan near Lake Superior and learn the flora of the area at the same time. Both of these workshop locations feature rugged bedrock shorelines, ridges (with amazing views!), forests, and wetlands, which provide diverse habitat for numerous plant species, including boreal species and rare arctic disjuncts.

1. Isle Royale Plant I.D. workshop: This will be the 16th Plant I.D. workshop sponsored by IRKPA* that will be taught in Isle Royale National Park.
Dates: June 8-13
Fee: US$750 ($25 discount for IRKPA members) NOTE: In addition to three days of instruction, the fee includes 13 meals from Tuesday lunch - Saturday lunch, transportation between Houghton MI and Isle Royale via the National Park Service ferry Ranger III (and while on Isle Royale), camping in a group campsite, park fees, and two IRKPA publications.

For more detailed information about Isle Royale (including map), workshop activities, evening options, instructor's background, workshop fee, cancellation policy, and how to register, please click on the flyer at: http://irkpa.org/get-involved/workshops

2. Keweenaw Plant I.D. workshop: This will be the 4th year that an IRKPA-sponsored plant I.D. workshop will be taught in the Keweenaw, a picturesque peninsula on Michigan's Upper Peninsula that juts out into Lake Superior.
Dates: July 7-9
Fee: US$399 ($25 discount for IKRPA members)

For more detailed information about the Keweenaw (including map), workshop activities, evening options, instructor's background, workshop fee, cancellation policy, and how to register, please click on the flyer at http://irkpa.org/get-involved/workshops Enrollment is limited to 12 participants, so be sure to register early to guarantee a spot.

If you have questions or would like more information on either of these workshops, please contact Janet Marr at jkmarr@mtu.edu or phone # below. If you know of someone who may be interested in hearing about these Plant I.D. workshops, that would be great if you would pass this announcement on to them. If you would be able to post one or both flyers, that would be wonderful, too. Thank you!

Janet Marr
Botanist and Workshop Instructor
email: jkmarr@mtu.edu
phone: 906-369-5388
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: Isle Royale and Keweenaw Botany Workshops

Post by torpified »

I've overlapped with this crew's IR iteration for each of the last two years, and it seems like they've had a superior time!
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: Isle Royale and Keweenaw Botany Workshops

Post by Keweenaw »

Workshop update: There are only 3 spaces left in the Isle Royale botany workshop as of 16 Dec. So if you're interested in taking that workshop, you'll need to sign up soon to guarantee a spot. The Keweenaw workshop is filled with a waitlist started.
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather