New Stove

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

New Stove

Post by hooky »

An MSR Pocket Rocket 2 has made it's way into my gear totes in the garage. My alcohol and twig stoves are probably bullying it and throwing taunts at it like, "He doesn't even know why he bought you." or "What other brands of gas have you been with?"

Still not sure why I bought it or what non MSR cannisters will work best, but it will get it's first test run in a couple weeks on an overnighter. Wish me luck and if you have any tips, I'm all ears.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: New Stove

Post by Ingo »

I have its predecessor, the Micro Rocket, and it's been great. Haven't had any issue with any brand of fuel. I use a firesteel to light it--a little trial and error to figure out how much to open it (not too much) and how close to get (closer than you think), and then it's quick and easy. Most reliable source of ignition I've found (piezos can fail). I always bring a few matches and small Bic as backups, but never use them (except for a campfire).
Also, I always take the stove off the canister when done cooking--know of folks that have had small leaks and no fuel in the morning.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

I have the original Pocket Rocket 1 and have used it for at least 10 years. I've used it with every random brand of canister I can find, and none have ever caused trouble. It's a wonderful little stove that's incredibly reliable -- it's never failed me.

I second Ingo: Take the stove off the canister. If you don't close it completely, or aren't screwed on tightly, you might get a leak overnight and end up with no gas. It's not an inherent flaw in the stove, but those are easy mistakes to make.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

We also have the original pocket rocket 1. It’s always been reliable. It’s the only piece of gear I’ve never considered upgrading over the years.
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

Thanks. It's good to know that it isn't finicky. Been reading some of the threads about gas usage, so I'll have to go get a couple canisters and start playing with it.
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

I've been using a Coleman Peak 1 backpacking stove for the past six years. No problems. Not bad for about $20.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Since adding a Kovea (they make SnowPeak) to my collection, my poor MSR International now only sees cold weather use. I too imagine the taunts that must occur in my gear bin.
I've fired up several brands of isobutane, and could not tell you of any difference. (It's all typically over 32F; I do see there are certain blends better for cold weather, but again, I just grab a different stove.)
My latest canister selection technique has just been to visit my local Sierra store (or similar outdoor discount store) and see if they have any on the shelf. For reasons I can't explain, they sell the fuel for 40-50% off what the regular stores carry it at. Since I don't think the fuel goes bad (at least never noticed it) maybe it's the printing on the canister has changed, etc. The cans are always in good shape...
I've personally found the 8oz canisters to be my sweet spot for a size when going on a multi-day camping trip; they have enough volume yet fit my pack well enough. The 4oz work for a weekend trip; the 16 just seem too bulky...
torpified
IR Expert

Post by torpified »

I'll chip in that I've found MSR to have customer service that's almost too good. When my micro rocket suffered from my over-enthusiastic tightening of the valve that controls the rate of fuel flow, rather than ditching it, I sent it in for repair---and received, post-haste, a brand new micro rocket.

The suffering wasn't fatal, btw --- it just made it hard for me to gauge how far I'd opened the valve. Not being able to operate things like knobs is part of what's converted me to alcohol stoves.
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

I will second Torpified. A few years ago, my pocket rocket would only stay ignited if I periodically picked it up and tightened the stove to the canister--not ideal, but it got me through the end of a trip. MSR sent me a new one immediately, with no hassle whatsoever.
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

I was out last weekend with it and have to say that it's incredibly convenient to decide that a hot drink would taste good and have that hot drink within a few minutes of making the decision. I just have to work on the best way to nest everything in my cook kit. The canister needs space that isn't available with anything I currently use.

I didn't do anything more than boil water, but that's 95% of my cooking when hiking anyway.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

hooky wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:20 am I just have to work on the best way to nest everything in my cook kit. The canister needs space that isn't available with anything I currently use.
This Optimus pot self-contains my complete cook kit: https://www.moosejaw.com/product/optimu ... t_10342132.
I fit an 8 oz canister, stove, fire steel, 1-2 folding spoons, an x-cup or 2, and small salt/pepper shakers inside.
The heat exchanger really makes a noticeable difference in boil times. The top serves as my oatmeal bowl (they call it a "frying pan", lol).
I made a pouch for the stove out of piece of old camp towel to protect it and keep it from rattling, since the case that came with my stove takes too much room. The MSR folding spoons are the only ones I found to fit inside (barely), but haven't looked lately for anything newer.
At 10 oz it's not for some ultra ultra-light folks, but considering the heat exchanger and bowl it works well for me.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
torpified
IR Expert

Post by torpified »

hooky wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:20 am I was out last weekend with it and have to say that it's incredibly convenient to decide that a hot drink would taste good and have that hot drink within a few minutes of making the decision. I just have to work on the best way to nest everything in my cook kit. The canister needs space that isn't available with anything I currently use.
Hooray! I could get the smaller (4 oz) canister and the stove to fit in my "pot". The downside of this strategy was having to worry more about how much fuel remained, and also having more canisters to try to figure out how to dispose of properly. (I even bought a dedicated MSR tool for puncturing them to drain residual fuel, but turned out to be about as good at working that as I was at working the stove itself!)
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

I use a camp coffee pot with the percolater removed. My travel mug, flatware, windscreen, etc... all fit in it. I'm due for an upgrade with that setup anyway. For now, I think I put everything in my MSR pot keep the travel mug separate.

I think I'd like a setup like the Optumus kit that Ingo uses. I guess I've got time. Baby steps.