September Weather

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

vancleve1224
NewbieCake

September Weather

Post by vancleve1224 »

Read a few posts about September weather. Am particularly interested in any regular September hikers who can comment more descriptively about the rain. Hard deluge? Stop/Start pattern? 24 hour continuous? Could be any and all? Thanks to you for responding!
Kelly
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: September Weather

Post by Kelly »

I visited in September each of the last two years for about a week each time. Some rain fell--both years on the first night, and nothing worth mentioning the rest of the time.
2012 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2026 A Minong thorough hike
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

We have made numerous September trips. Expect and prepare for all the above including snow.
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

The worst September weather I have experienced at Isle Royale, and one other time during a northern Minnesota vacation, is a slow-moving cold front that brings 35-40 degree weather and steady rain for several days straight. If it gets frosty cold, it is usually a quick snap followed by clear and sunny moderate weather. If you are prepared for three solid days of cold rain, you should be ready. Although note that, by that third day, pretty much all hikers are headed for shelters to dry out. Also pack a motion sickness remedy if you might need it, as the Lake in September tends to be much rougher than July and August.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
vancleve1224
NewbieCake

Post by vancleve1224 »

Thank you very much for your reply. I am just learning about the lay out of the island. It is helpful to know what to prepare for.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

I've never been on an Isle Royale trip where it didn't rain for at least one day, often multiple. I would never go without the ability to survive a few days of rain. It rains much more often than even nearby parts of the mainland. (it's almost a casual thing... think I'll rain for a few minutes now... ok, done!).
Last edited by dcclark on Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
booyah
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by booyah »

dcclark,
Its funny both of my trips (a week, and a week plus) we had ZERO rain at least during the day. Just goes to show, its a flexible environment there.
Expect a little of everything with the big lake!