First time trip in July 5 nights itinerary help pls

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

ChuckYouFarley
NewbieCake

First time trip in July 5 nights itinerary help pls

Post by ChuckYouFarley »

Hi, I was hoping some of you experts could offer guidance on an itinerary for my first Isle Royale trip. I already have my ferry booked to land mid July and plan on staying 5 nights starting and ending at Rock Harbor. I am a strong hiker and experienced backpacker but also do not want to go on a death march. I am thinking the first night head to Daisy Farm but after that I got nothing. Thank you hive mind!
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: First time trip in July 5 nights pls help!

Post by torpified »

You can't go wrong with a basic plan like: 3Mile-Moskey-McCargo-DaisyFarm-RockHarbor. Possible variations abound, and keep in mind the RH area rewards exploration (NB there's a one night limit at the RH CG.) Check out itinerary suggestions in other threads in this forum for more, and more detailed, ideas.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: First time trip in July 5 nights itinerary help pls

Post by thesneakymonkey »

^ did that exact route torpified described on our first trip to the island. I have it linked below if you want to see what those campspots look like in video. That route has a little bit of everything the island has to offer. Keep your stay limits in mind and you will be fine. You could also toss lane cove in there somewhere if you are looking for something different.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

Can't say it better than torpified did above! Also make sure to take your time and enjoy sitting around and being lazy on occasion (I would schedule a rest day at Moskey or McCargoe).

Also, don't discount staying in Rock Harbor one night (and only one night at a time, due to stay limits). The ranger programs can be fantastic. Tours on the Sandy are amazing. The Scoville Point trail is worth setting aside time for.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Want to thank thesneakymonkey couple for their youtube videos. Viewed the first 3 so far. Look forward to the others, said the old man.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Post by thesneakymonkey »

jerry wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:20 pm Want to thank thesneakymonkey couple for their youtube videos. Viewed the first 3 so far. Look forward to the others, said the old man.
No prob Jerry! Glad you are enjoying them. :D -Ash
3MTA3
NewbieCake

Post by 3MTA3 »

I'd suggest something like this route:

Night 1: Daisy
Night 2-3: McCargoe
Night 4: Moskey Basin
Night 5: 3 Mile

McCargoe has more to offer in terms of exploration and things to do, so I'd suggest spending more time there. Three Mile isn't that exciting, and if you're experienced you can get to Daisy the first night no problem. The hikes from Daisy to McCargoe and McCargoe to Moskey Basin have their own spots along the way where you can take your time and enjoy. No use spending most of your first day at Three Mile when you can use that time making your way to Daisy en route to more exciting spots, in my opinion.