Good article about dragonflies and mercury

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Good article about dragonflies and mercury

Post by johnhens »

https://queticosuperior.org/blog/baby-d ... 1tEVUgaMT8

From the article:
“Isle Royale [National Park] is particularly sensitive to mercury pollution,” says the National Park Service. “The abundance of wetlands, low pH lakes, complex food webs, and predatory fish creates an environment susceptible to the bioaccumulation of toxics.”
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Good article about dragonflies and mercury

Post by jerry »

Dragonflies can take care of themselves (sometimes). Years ago, I was heading north on the Gunflint trail when one came into my car and hit me on the forehead. It decided to bite me and my head had one heck of a bump for several days. I still respect them, as a part of our kingdom.
newb2019
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Good article about dragonflies and mercury

Post by newb2019 »

jerry wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:35 am Dragonflies can take care of themselves (sometimes). Years ago, I was heading north on the Gunflint trail when one came into my car and hit me on the forehead. It decided to bite me and my head had one heck of a bump for several days. I still respect them, as a part of our kingdom.
I was absolutely terrified of dragonflies as a kid. When I grew up, I came to think of them as harmless. The kid in me feels vindicated by your experience.