Fishing advice for Beaver Island/ Rainbow Cove/ Rock of Ages area

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

MeganH
NewbieCake

Fishing advice for Beaver Island/ Rainbow Cove/ Rock of Ages area

Post by MeganH »

Good day all!!
My husband and I will be taking a fishing trip to the west side of Isle Royale for a few days the first week of August. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for fishing the Lake Superior waters and where you might’ve had the best luck? Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you! :D
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Fishing advice for Beaver Island/ Rainbow Cove/ Rock of Ages area

Post by johnhens »

I have not fished the areas you mentioned, other IR areas though. The fish will be deep. Look at hydro map/chart of the area. Troll the deeper areas and /or try vertical jigging. 4-6" white curlytail jig on at least a 1/2 oz jig. Obviously a fish finder is helpful. Might check with the NPS folks at the Windigo Ranger station.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Similar to John's remarks, I have not heard much about fishing the Washington Harbor area. Further into the harbor, around Beaver Island the depths are rather shallow by Lake Superior standards with maximums of around 50 feet. Most people are looking for Lake Trout. Is this your hope? Depending on water temps you might have better luck further out towards the harbor opening or even Rock of Ages. Locating and jigging off a good reef is the key. Salmon is possible too. If you want to try for Northern Pike try any shallow, weedy areas by shoreline. Washington creek area might be good. I've always had luck bait casting various size Rapalas (use a steel leader).

Here a link to the PDF of the Island's nautical chart.
2020-07-30_21-05-49.png
2020-07-30_21-01-42.png
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
MeganH
NewbieCake

Post by MeganH »

Thank you for all the great advice. He’s always had luck in rainbow cove before but we want to try more jigging this time. We do have a nautical chart of IR. I remember seeing some reefs on the east side of the island but will try to scope out some more areas nearer us. Don’t entirely know the range of our boat and don’t want to risk getting in a pickle. Lol
MeganH
NewbieCake

Post by MeganH »

Thank you for all the great advice. He’s always had luck in rainbow cove before but we want to try more jigging this time. We do have a nautical chart of IR. I remember seeing some reefs on the east side of the island but will try to scope out some more areas nearer us. Don’t entirely know the range of our boat and don’t want to risk getting in a pickle. Lol

Also, I don’t think the ranger station is open this year. We heard the gas station is so that’s good. Ha!