Mason Tract Pathway All Season Getaway

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

Grizzly22
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Mason Tract Pathway All Season Getaway

Post by Grizzly22 »

I thought I would add a fun little weekend trip for those looking do some hiking, fishing, birding, stargazing, XC skiing, or snowshoeing that I have been able to visit a few times. The Mason Tract Pathway, Located in the Huron National Forest, is the perfect destination for those in the lower peninsula looking for a weekend getaway up north. Located just out of Grayling, This area contains 11 miles of trails that are great for year round recreation. The Mason Tract is a section of the Southern Branch of the Au Sable that is protected for fly fishing only with year round opportunities to hunt and fish. While you can't camp on the route, there is a nearby campground located right on the trail system called Canoe Harbor State Campground which is open year round. In addition I have had great luck looking at the Milky way and stargazing there when weather permits. Attached are some photos from some of the trips that I've taken to the pathway and campground. If you have any questions about the location or any other specifics feel free to comment.
Image Image Image Image Image
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: Mason Tract Pathway All Season Getaway

Post by torpified »

Thanks for this! I happen to be in Grayling right now, sneaking in some very icy xc skiing before rededicating my life to Zoom meetings. I really loved the stretch of the Au Sable river that runs through Hartwick Pines, and now I know where I can find more trail like that!
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Re: Mason Tract Pathway All Season Getaway

Post by kolo »

Thanks for this! I happen to be in Grayling right now, sneaking in some very icy xc skiing before rededicating my life to Zoom meetings. I really loved the stretch of the Au Sable river that runs through Hartwick Pines, and now I know where I can find more trail like that!
Torpified, somehow I knew you would be all over this! I am not familiar with most of Michigan so I await the Michigan Trails Guidebook that you should be working on! :wink: