Clothing in June

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Clothing in June

Post by Ingo »

Kelly wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:25 am
Ingo wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:41 am - gaiters. Found them to be invaluable, there's been plenty discussion in the past.
Prior to my first backpacking trip, I read that gaiters were a necessary item, so I bought a pair. Never used them and have never carried them since.

Can you elaborate on how you find them useful, as I cannot find the discussions?
Keeps mud and water out of the boots. One trip in particular in late May/early June there were lots of ankle high mud holes and a couple flooded trail sections--I would not have kept my feet dry without them. They also help keep out those annoying little pieces of debris that inevitably find their way into your boots/shoes. I would agree they're annoying and/or dead weight on dry trails, but I was really (really) glad I had them on that one trip.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Kelly
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Kelly »

Huh. Thanks for the explanation. I might have had a different sort of ISRO trip a few years ago, when I learned that dirty and dry clothing beats clean and wet. I gave up trying to have dry feet.

I actually broke out the gaiters yesterday for the first time ever for a hike in the snow with hiking boots as my actual snow boots have repairs pending. They did their job--no snow in my boots and they kept my pants dry. I'm not sure of the purpose of the loops under the footwear, since they came undone in about five minutes.

ETA: Oh look--here is more helpful info: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/gaiters.html
2012 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2026 A Minong thorough hike
TopCarrot
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by TopCarrot »

I hiked in wet shoes nearly everyday this summer. All from morning dew. I used a pair of gaiters in high school and bought another pair that I will be taking each trip.
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
19 TH-ND-WC-SD-ML Via Voyager McC
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
17 CW-SD-WC greenstone in 50hrs
MarjiGesick
NewbieCake

Post by MarjiGesick »

How much would this list change for Mid-late July? ~July 12-23. I'm taking two teenagers so helping to convince them of how to pack is much needed.
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

Rain pants are another option to keep pants dry, and they cover the tops of boots and provide an extra layer of warmth when needed. My teenager is willing to pack them (though not always willing to use them).
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

MarjiGesick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:08 am How much would this list change for Mid-late July? ~July 12-23. I'm taking two teenagers so helping to convince them of how to pack is much needed.
Not at all really. I've had 40ish deg nights in July by the lake. Overall it may be warmer, but you can still get the extremes. I might bring lighter base layers and a lighter fleece, but still the same layers.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
MarjiGesick
NewbieCake

Post by MarjiGesick »

Thanks for the replies everyone. It will be an exciting adventure of mistakes and greatness. I look forward to it.
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

I agree with Ingo. it can get cold. I have extra clothes in the car and check the weather just before I leave to decide on the "extra layer" if cold is forecast. I usually have some fleece sleeping/camp clothes to keep my bag clean and to be cleanish and dry in camp. But I have put on everything I had for a really cold night near the shore during July/August.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Here's what I took for a late May/Memorial Weekend trip. It got cold enough on 2 nights that our water bottles started to freeze and it was in the 70's a couple of days.
• Wicking Underwear (2 Pair)
• Wool Socks (3 Pair, 1 of which is sleeping only)
• Wicking T Shirt
• Long Sleeve shirt
• Long Sleeve ¼ Zip (lightweight)
• Jacket – Poly Fleece or Merino
• Rain jacket
• Rain Pants
• Headnet
• Boots
• Long Underwear Pants & Top (2 Pair, 1 of which is sleeping only)
• Hiking pants
• Stocking Cap (serves double duty as a freezer bag cozy)
• Goretex wide brimmed hat with ear flaps
• Camp shoes
• Mitten gloves