Trekking pole tips?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

hammb
NewbieCake

Trekking pole tips?

Post by hammb »

As a first timer planning a trip this summer, I'm wondering if anybody had any advice on the tips to use for your trekking poles on the island? I used my REI coupon to get a new set of poles, and they just came with the standard carbide tips and baskets. Those are probably fine, but sometimes when I'm hiking on mostly all rock I prefer rubber tips as opposed to the carbide so I don't scrape/scratch the trail as much. Do people on the island generally stick to the carbide, or should I get a set of rubber tips to swap out?

Thanks for any suggestions!
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Trekking pole tips?

Post by IncaRoads »

I use a rubber tip on my single Tracks Sherlock hiking staff. The rubber tip reduces the noise the staff makes on the trail and prevents it from scarring rocks and terrain. Works well all around but can slip a bit on smooth wet rock; hiking boots will also slip under similar conditions.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Don’t need the baskets. Go with carbide or rubber tips. Either is fine. The island is a lot of rock.
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

I once had an Appalachian Trail Conference trailrunner (trail employee who patrols the AT) stop and thank me for using rubber tips on my poles! If the carbide tips are not truly needed for safety, use the rubber tips. They do less damage to trails anywhere including Isle Royale.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
hammb
NewbieCake

Post by hammb »

Bobcat1 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:03 pm I once had an Appalachian Trail Conference trailrunner (trail employee who patrols the AT) stop and thank me for using rubber tips on my poles! If the carbide tips are not truly needed for safety, use the rubber tips. They do less damage to trails anywhere including Isle Royale.
That's kind of what I was thinking. I've used (and prefer the feel of, honestly) rubber tips in the Whites and the Smokies. I kind of figured rubber would work well, but having never visited the island yet was wanting the advice of some experienced hikers before going that route.