Durston tent alternative?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

mlbmichigan+
NewbieCake

Durston tent alternative?

Post by mlbmichigan+ »

I had my heart set on a Dan Durston X mid 2 person tent. love the free fly, weight, etc. Unfortunately they are sold out for quite a while and I am going to IR in August. I am not a frequent backpacker and I go solo most of the time but the DD 1 person tent just seems too small.
1. anyone have the 1 p and if so what do you think?
2. any other suggestions for a similar tent in the $300 or lower range? I can't justify spending more given the number of trips I take.
3. One of the IR outfitters told me to get a river country 2 person tent because they are under $100 including the tracking poles and are fine for the occasional summer trip.. Does anyone have experience with that?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Durston tent alternative?

Post by Ingo »

Have you looked at the Tarptents? The Stratospire 2 looks rather similar and there's a couple other options also. I've been very happy with mine (although the particular model is not currently made).
For a decent budget tent I like the Kelty Grand Mesa 2. Heavier at 4 lbs, but will keep you dry and not break the bank.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

I have a 2 person Go Lite tent that I bought a few years ago, mainly for backpacking the Minong. The tent and everything included weighs 3 pounds. It has a rain fly and foot print. It is supposedly a 2 person tent but would be tight with two people. It worked very well for me and my gear, as I am solo, but I am six feet, five inches tall! It is still like new because I only used it that one time on the Minong.

I am unable to backpack anymore so the tent is collecting dust. I might be able to let it go if you are interested. I can't remember how much I paid for it exactly, but it cost me something like $250-$300.

A review for it can be found here:

https://www.backpacker.com/gear-item/go ... -ul2-tent/

I agree with Ingo about the Kelty tents. I have three Kelty tents and like them all. I mainly canoe now, so weight is not as much of an issue. Kelty does a great job in backing their products.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Do you already have tarps? If so, this might be an alternative work checking out.

https://www.pariaoutdoorproducts.com/pr ... -mesh-tent

I mainly hammock camp, but bought one of these on a whim. My son borrowed it for a trip we did in October. He loved it so much, I got him one for Christmas this year. I wish I had some pictures of it set up to show you, but in warm weather a regular square or hex cut tarp is all you need. In cool/colder weather a winter tarp with doors would work great. I use trekking poles now and those work great for pitching it.
bloodbuzz
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by bloodbuzz »

i've been looking at simlar stuff. check out gossamer gear the two
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

I just looked on amazon and it appears that they are shipping for April delivery.

bloodbuzz
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by bloodbuzz »

^

The current listings are resellers. His website says there won't be another batch until fall unfortunately
mlbmichigan+
NewbieCake

Post by mlbmichigan+ »

thanks all, based on your feedback I bought the 1p kelty late start and the paria 1p bryce. same price, size and weight basically. kelty is denier, has a seam in the middle of the bathtub, no footprint, no vent in the fly but has a bigger vestibule, side door. Paria is sil nylon, seamless bathtub and comes with a footprint and fly vent. door at the end, small vestibule. Decisions, decisions!
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

mlbmichigan+ wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:50 pm thanks all, based on your feedback I bought the 1p kelty late start and the paria 1p bryce. same price, size and weight basically. kelty is denier, has a seam in the middle of the bathtub, no footprint, no vent in the fly but has a bigger vestibule, side door. Paria is sil nylon, seamless bathtub and comes with a footprint and fly vent. door at the end, small vestibule. Decisions, decisions!
I'll be curious to hear about the Bryce. The Breeze is well made, so I assume the Bryce is too. Paria was a pleasure to deal with also.
mlbmichigan+
NewbieCake

Post by mlbmichigan+ »

The fly connector webbing on the kelty seems like it would stretch when wet, paria feels like it wouldn't. I think I need to flip a coin.