Windigo Storm 6/08/21

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Windigo Storm 6/08/21

Post by johnhens »

Gale force winds came through Windigo on 6/08/21. Many trees down, though not damage to structures. Blowdowns along the Feldtmann trail. Crews working to clear the trees.
blink
NewbieCake

Re: Windigo Storm 6/08/21

Post by blink »

Yikes!

We had a crazy weather event called a Derecho last summer here in central Iowa. My husband and I own a tree service and our crews are still cleaning up damage from that storm nearly a year later.

I hope the islands recovery is speedier than ours has been. It will be interesting for us to see the damage when we are there in a couple of weeks.

Also, I'll bet it was hella scary to be in a tent during that storm!
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I don't remember where I heard this, so I can't give it the proper attribution, but at any given time 1/3 of the boreal forest is horizontal.
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

Also, I'll bet it was hella scary to be in a tent during that storm!
Two of the most intense summer storms I have experienced in my life were while I was at Isle Royale. During one of the storms I was in a tent at Hatchet Lake. During the other, I was glad I was in one of the shelters!
bloodbuzz
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by bloodbuzz »

buddy and i were in one of the two shelters at siskiwit bay that morning. another group there in a tent was able to duck into the other shelter during the storm. thunder was loud enough to shake the shelter.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

bloodbuzz wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:02 pm buddy and i were in one of the two shelters at siskiwit bay that morning. another group there in a tent was able to duck into the other shelter during the storm. thunder was loud enough to shake the shelter.
Were there a lot of trees down? If you came from or went to Island Mine, is there still the issue of the beaver dam flooding out the trail?
bloodbuzz
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by bloodbuzz »

johnhens wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:11 pm
bloodbuzz wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:02 pm buddy and i were in one of the two shelters at siskiwit bay that morning. another group there in a tent was able to duck into the other shelter during the storm. thunder was loud enough to shake the shelter.
Were there a lot of trees down? If you came from or went to Island Mine, is there still the issue of the beaver dam flooding out the trail?
there were trees down all over the isle, but not so many that it was a big deal. there was no beaver impact near island mine that i recall, but there were two HUGE ones between Todd Harbor and Hatchet Lake.