Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: TR (5/31-6/7, 2021): Ishpeming, Feldtmann---and some commuting

Post by torpified »

MrSniffles wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:58 pm
What does 2021 bring on this post tower stretch in terms of overgrowth?
Here's a picture from fairly early in the stretch. I don't remember whether it got brushier, or by how much --- but I think that if it had risen to the level of a nuisance, that would at least have disrupted the monotony that is the main thing I remember! Are you heading back soon?
Attachments
afterthetower.jpg
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

I hiked that 5-mile stretch in August a few years ago and the underbrush was 5’ high in spots and the only way to stay precisely on the trail was to feel the groove with your feet.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
blink
NewbieCake

Post by blink »

I am totally nerding out on all of the recent TR's, we will be arriving on the island this coming Saturday. I always learn a little something from these accounts to "put in my back pocket" and your post has helped to calm my nervous energy about visiting the island for the first time. Thanks for the highlights!
MrSniffles
NewbieCake

Post by MrSniffles »

torpified wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:13 pm
MrSniffles wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:58 pm
What does 2021 bring on this post tower stretch in terms of overgrowth?
Here's a picture from fairly early in the stretch. I don't remember whether it got brushier, or by how much --- but I think that if it had risen to the level of a nuisance, that would at least have disrupted the monotony that is the main thing I remember! Are you heading back soon?
Glad to hear that nothing stood out as too big of an obstruction. I was just about convinced it would be an every-other-trip kind of nuisance and this would be the year. I'll be back there in six short weeks.
Bobcat1 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:50 pm I hiked that 5-mile stretch in August a few years ago and the underbrush was 5’ high in spots and the only way to stay precisely on the trail was to feel the groove with your feet.
Sounds like you know all about it. It required shuffling through. The weeds underneath on either side of the trail were thick, and the branches were in your face across the trail. Had to be at least a quarter mile long like this.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

torpified wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:12 am

The recommended route cuts inland briefly to make use of the obsolete trail’s non-obsolete bridge over the Siskiwit River. This was easy. The next place the recommended route parts ways with the beach is Senter Point, which you’re supposed to bushwhack across before resuming beachwhacking on the other side. This is probably easy, but I blew it. I suspect the recommended bushwhack cuts across the point to the east of the obsolete trail. Enticed yet again by a suggestive game trail, I cut across to the west, and soon found myself slogging through a swamp. I don’t mind mud. I just mind not knowing how deep it is. In a few places I sunk to mid-thigh. I managed to pry myself free, though, and was soon happily beachwhacking along the shore north of the point.

I climbed toward Island Mine eager to see the steam engine, and worried that I wouldn’t recognize the pile of tailings I needed to cross to find it. I shouldn’t have worried: the ruddy, barren tailings couldn’t be more different from their lush woodland surroundings. The steam engine was just on the other side.
can you tell me a bit more about the bushwhack/beachwhacking?? Are we talking serious struggle or like a jaunt? I know it not an *actual* trail and having bushwhacked on the island before (accidently off trail on the beaver dam on the minong) I would like to avoid trudging through another butt deep mud pit :shock: not that it wasn't fun the first time haha :wink: . We will be hitting the Feldtmann soon !!!! Cant wait :D
torpified
IR Expert

Post by torpified »

thesneakymonkey wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:34 pm
can you tell me a bit more about the bushwhack/beachwhacking?? Are we talking serious struggle or like a jaunt? I know it not an *actual* trail and having bushwhacked on the island before (accidently off trail on the beaver dam on the minong) I would like to avoid trudging through another butt deep mud pit :shock: not that it wasn't fun the first time haha :wink: . We will be hitting the Feldtmann soon !!!! Cant wait :D
I suspect that if this had its own thread, it'd be more likely to elicit useful information --- so I'm going to start one!