Crowd size

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Crowd size

Post by backwoods doc »

I keep hearing about national park attendance setting records. What has people's experience been with numbers of visitors to IR this summer?
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Crowd size

Post by johnhens »

backwoods doc wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:54 pm I keep hearing about national park attendance setting records. What has people's experience been with numbers of visitors to IR this summer?
From what I hear, the boats have been filled.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

I was there in late May/early June. I've visited twice before in roughly that window. It seemed busier this time than the other two, particularly around the intake points. (This impression could be an artefact of arriving at WIndigo to start the Feldtmann Loop in sync with a Voyageurfull of other visitors doings the same.) And boisterous types and/or novice-looking backpackers seemed better represented than I remember. It wasn't like there were traffic jams on the trail or campgrounds so full that late arrivals couldn't find a place to pitch their tents, though.
TopCarrot
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by TopCarrot »

I did not notice any extra traffic on the trails. You still rarely see of pass another. In both directions the Queen had empty seats, I have been on many full boats. So that would have to mean that less net visitors. Rock Harbor felt normal, perhaps 10-15 years younger as the sitdown restaurant wasn't serving. I would assume that anything close to the intakes would be full as normal in July and August. I did see the most nonweekend boaters ever. Some said they normally hit Canada but cant for COVID travel restrictions. A ranger offhand said normally 18,000 hikers and last year only 1800. Pressed him for more details but he didn't seem to know more and that was his only nugget.
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
19 TH-ND-WC-SD-ML Via Voyager McC
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
17 CW-SD-WC greenstone in 50hrs
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

TopCarrot wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:04 am A ranger offhand said normally 18,000 hikers and last year only 1800. Pressed him for more details but he didn't seem to know more and that was his only nugget.
I am guessing the low numbers for last year was due to the Island only being serviced by the seaplanes and folks on private boats.