Sandals on Greenstone Ridge

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Walkingisfun
NewbieCake

Re: Sandals on Greenstone Ridge

Post by Walkingisfun »

Thank you all once more! I did bring my boots and was glad to have them for crossing the couple beaver dams near the beginning of the stretch from Windigo to N Desor. Based on what I saw being said about the Greenstone section from Windigo to S Desor, I opted for the more northern Minong trail to N Desor, which was a lot of back and forth between down into the forest and up on to the ridge. This was my favorite section of the trip! It had incredibly beautiful views of Superior and I believe Canada.

I would agree with what Andy said about being mindful of your step when wearing sandals or barefoot. A good portion of the path I took through the island were quite rocky and also rooty. Another thing to note was that some of the trail was overgrown, and it was difficult to see the ground in front of you. Combined with a heavy backpack and exhaustion from walking all day/week, and you get lots of opportunities for a toe stub. I will leave my boots behind next time.