Itinerary feedback

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

sbremer
NewbieCake

Itinerary feedback

Post by sbremer »

Newbie here! I'll be backpacking the island with 3 friends the first week of August. We plan to fly into and out of Rock Harbor with our last day on the island being in the Rock Harbor lodge. I've read most of Jim DuFresne's book and I have the Nat Geo map. I feel like this route gives us wiggle room, as well as hitting all the popular spots. We could stay a second night at any of these spots, but McCargo Cove seems to be a popular spot for a second night. I'm not new to backpacking, but have never been to IR, and would love some feedback on our possible itinerary:

Day 1: Fly into RH, take a water taxi to Moskey Bay (zero)
Day 2: Moskey Bay to McCargo Cove (8.4 miles)
Day 3: Stay a second night at McCargo Cove (zero miles unless we do day hikes)
Day 4: McCargo Cove to Todd Harbor (6.7 miles)
Day 5: Todd Harbor to Hackett Lake (4.1 miles)
Day 6: Hackett Lake to W. Chickenbone (7.9 miles)
Day 7: W. Chickenbone to Daisy Farm (7.9 miles)
Day 8: Daisy Farm to RH and overnight in lodge (7.1 miles)
Day 9: Fly out of RH

Thanks for any feedback. It's very much appreciated!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Itinerary feedback

Post by Ingo »

Welcome! The one thing I see is burning your zero day at the beginning of the trip. I would think about maybe doing it in reverse, saving it for McCargoe or Moskey (both great) near the end, and reserving the water taxi "home" to R.H. (And that way they'd also carry your packs from the boat to the room for you :D ). You wouldn't want a late flight to make D.F. the first night, and hope there isn't a big delay, but you always need to be flexible and change on the fly if need be in any case. You could also change up the campground order, but I do like the consistent 7-8 miles/day with what you have. Whatever you end up with you'll enjoy!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

i agree about saving a zero day for later in a trip. Until last summer, i would agree that Mc
cargo was good for two days. But this last August, that site was packed; it was more like an RV site than an IR site. I was very disappointed. Maybe the overcrowding will be better this year? Maybe consider Chippewa instead. Lots to explore there.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Chippewa would be an excellent spot to zero. I definitely enjoyed our one stay there and would do it again. MCC has always been packed when we were there.
sbremer
NewbieCake

Post by sbremer »

I thought about going in reverse, but if weather is bad and we can't utilize the water taxi, it will make for a looooong hike back to RH. I'll look at adding Chippewa. Thanks!
TopCarrot
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by TopCarrot »

sbremer wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:17 pm I thought about going in reverse, but if weather is bad and we can't utilize the water taxi, it will make for a looooong hike back to RH. I'll look at adding Chippewa. Thanks!
Moskey to RH is do-able. Easiest 11 mile stretch on the island (aside from downhill from South Desor to Washington creek).
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
19 TH-ND-WC-SD-ML Via Voyager McC
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
17 CW-SD-WC greenstone in 50hrs