Itinerary help for first timer

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

mariewh7792
NewbieCake

Itinerary help for first timer

Post by mariewh7792 »

Newbie here in more ways then one. I'm planning a first backpacking trip to Isle Royale this June with my sister (I have plenty camping, hiking and day tripping to remote places under my belt). All of my trips revolve around photography and this is another one to add to my list. Since this is my first actual backpacking trip I'm planning at least 2 nights. If weather permits I'd love to get some night shots along with some sunset/sunrise.

Working itinerary:

Day 1: Make my way over to where my sister lives to combine gear before heading to Minocqua area (we have a cabin there to stay the night)

Day 2: Head to Copper Harbor to catch the Queen IV ferry to Rock Harbor. Goal is to make it to Moskey, Daisy is a backup depending on the speed of my sister.

Day 3: Head towards Greenstone Ridge and following until Mt Franklin before heading towards Three Mile for the night.

Day 4: Slowly make our way back to Rock Harbor for the 1445 ferry.

I've planned plenty of base camp trips with my family, friends and a mother who cannot walk more then 3 miles on rough terrain a day. Backpacking is new and I want to ensure I get the most mileage and photography I can without over doing it. My only concern is my sister keeping up with me, and while I'll be carrying most the gear, she tends to be a bit slower then me. Any help would be greatly appreciated for this first trip (I plan on a longer trip in the future, but most of my vacation time this year is saved for a Yellowstone trip in Sept). Thanks in advance!
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Re: Itinerary help for first timer

Post by Vandy »

Welcome! Moskey the first night with a slow partner is ambitious. You'd be better off targeting Daisy, leaving plenty of time on day 2 for pictures as you work your way up to the ridge and back to Three Mile for night.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

Agree, I wouldn't expect to make Moskey on the first day. Two full days on the island is really limiting, and ideally you could add one more day. If not, I agree that you should aim for Daisy (or even Three Mile) on your arrival day. You could go to Moskey on the second day, but your backup plan could be to go to Daisy Farm and then do day hikes up the ridge. There is a lovely loop you can do up to Mt. Ojibway. On a later day, you could go up on the ridge, through Mt. Franklin, on your way back to Rock Harbor.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Is there any way you can extend your trip by a couple days?
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Aiming for Daisy on Day 1 is a good option. But if you could arrange a water taxi from Rock Harbor to Daisy (or Three Mile) on Day 1, that would shorten the walk to Moskey considerably (or by 3 miles). That still leaves you with the task of getting to Three Mile on Day 2. Which route from Moskey to the GRT on Day 2 were you picturing?
mariewh7792
NewbieCake

Post by mariewh7792 »

thesneakymonkey wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:19 am Is there any way you can extend your trip by a couple days?
Sadly I cannot extend the trip due to a longer trip in Yellowstone in Sept (not backpacking). I do however hope to have a longer trip next year, but as of now I do not have much vacation time available for this trip to be longer. I'm thinkingof this trip as a taste to get my sister on a longer one as well as more places
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

mariewh7792 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:50 am
thesneakymonkey wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:19 am Is there any way you can extend your trip by a couple days?
Sadly I cannot extend the trip due to a longer trip in Yellowstone in Sept (not backpacking). I do however hope to have a longer trip next year, but as of now I do not have much vacation time available for this trip to be longer. I'm thinkingof this trip as a taste to get my sister on a longer one as well as more places
In that case: Don't try to see everything. Take it slow and enjoy what you can see, which will be more than enough to encourage you to come back! The idea of a water taxi to Daisy (or even Moskey) is a good one, but expensive. I would personally choose to go Arrival -> Daisy -> Day hikes -> Three Mile (via the Greenstone) -> Depart.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Several good and prudent suggestions offered thus far. Given your described circumstances (first real backpacking trip, first time to Isle Royale, unknowns about sister, and primary desire to do more than usual amount of photography, I add to the suggestion you take things a bit slower. Moskey Basin and back in 2 nights is just too far unless you want spend most of the time looking at your feet. Even with the long daylight of June, you don't arrive until about noon and won't get started for awhile later due to ranger orientations.

After you are off the boat, evaluate.

Option 1)
Night 1 - Maybe stay the night at Rock Harbor CG. Since the Queen is departing you can probably get a shelter as they will be opening up. (The Ranger and Voyageur scheduled pickups at RH will also affect the CG population the night before their departure.) There is a wonderful round trip trail to Scoville point (Stoll Trail) that makes a 4 mile round trip figure 8 . It's often called the most scenic trail on The Island. You can leave most of your gear in camp (shelter or tent) and make the hike less burdened)

Night 2 - Trip to Three Mile. There are 2 trail option to get there. The Tobin Harbor trail is easier with better footing that the Rock Harbor Trail. If you get up early enough, your chances to get a shelter again will be high as others coming into 3 Mile for the night will be starting from further away. Either result (shelter of tent), swap your main packs for day packs and take the camera, water and snacks and head up to Mt Franklin. Once there (and travel a bit west along the Greenstone ridge) you will be treated to arguably the best ridge views on The Island. Plus, the path to get to the ridge will expose you to much of the other ecological systems The Island has to offer (swampy valleys, beaver ponds, boardwalks and variety of trees, flowers and wildlife).

Option 2)
Night 1 - Stay in Rock Harbor CG but instead of Scoville Point, rent a canoe and from Tobin Harbor side of the RH CG paddle to Hidden Lake dock. It's almost always a very sheltered and safe water paddle). 2 mile (round trip) hike to Lookout Louise that is quite popular yet not crowded (except on days when organized ranger led tours occur twice a week.

Night 2 - Three Mile as above.

You could reverse the camp ground order (more similar to your original plan) but the above option offers more time in and around Three Mile CG (almost a full day rather than on-half day).

Once you're established at Three Mile early, and you and your sister are indeed fit and adventurous, it wouldn't be unheard of to take the circle route from 3 Mile - Mt Franklin - Mt Ojibway - Daisy Farm - 3 Mile, especially with just day packs (either direction depending on weather expectations)
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Kelly
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Kelly »

Your ambition plus a slower partner may not add up to an enjoyable trip for either of you.

However, for a first visit, either of the two options Midwest Ed lays out will likely bring happiness to both of you. Even Three Mile on the first night should be doable, and then back to Rock Harbor for the second night.

She might even carry more gear next time!
2012 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2026 A Minong thorough hike
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Also remember that you'll be starting the first day in the wee hours of the morning if you're driving up from Minocqua. But one of my more memorable drives was an early drive from our family cabin in the same area up to Houghton to catch the boat--sun rising through the fog off the lakes and ponds, no one else on the road :) .
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH