Huginnin Cove Loop: Clockwise or Counterclockwise?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

alicecw
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Huginnin Cove Loop: Clockwise or Counterclockwise?

Post by alicecw »

What are your opinions on which direction to hike the Huginnin Cove Loop, clockwise or counterclockwise? I have the 3rd edition of DuFresne's "Foot Trails & Water Routes" and he says, "Although it's probably a much-debated topic, many feel the loop is easier to hike by first following the East Huginnin Cove Trail." However, he doesn't go into any detail about why counterclockwise is the preferred route.

I've been fiddling with the itinerary for my August trip to do the Feldtmann & Huginnin Cove loops. Originally I was only going to do Huginnin Cove loop as a day hike, but now I'd like to spend a night at Huginnin Cove. I'll be hiking to HC from Siskiwit Bay, so it will be my longest day of the trip (though very doable for my hiking speed/endurance). My inclination is to go against DuFresne's advice just so that I can hike the scenic portion of the East HC Trail on fresh legs the next morning and really soak in the views, however, he mentions several ascents and ridges on the West HC trail which might also benefit from fresh legs.

Which direction have you hiked the Huginnin Cove loop and what's your opinion on the best way to tackle the loop? Thanks!
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Huginnin Cove Loop: Clockwise or Counterclockwise?

Post by Bobcat1 »

Anything going across the grain of the Island has ascents and descents, and the Hugunin Cove trail is no exception. I don’t usually think of one side of the loop being much harder than the other, so I would do them in whatever order you think fits. The east side does have the section along the lake, that for me might be better appreciated in the morning after a nights rest instead of right at the end of a long day.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Go with your inclination! The whole trail is nice, but the stretch, east of the campsite, along the lake and beside the jumbly, massive, mossive, boulders, was the one I found the most striking. I walked the loop clockwise. If there were sustained ridge climbs on the western side, they didn't make much of an impression on me, and are unlikely seem like a big deal after the ~600 foot ascent out of Siskiwit you'll have done the day before. (Keep your eyes peeled for the tailings pile hiding the steam engine on that one!) Huginnin Cove looks like a very satisfying place to overnight!
alicecw
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by alicecw »

Thanks, Bobcat & Torpified! When I looked at the NatGeo map, I didn't see too much difference in elevation between the sides of the trail, so I couldn't figure out why DuFresne was recommending doing the East trail first. Guess it is just personal preference and my preference is definitely to leave that shoreline segment for a meandering morning stroll!
treeplanter
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

It was many years back, but we walked the trail counter-clockwise. Honestly, I can't recall terrain being an issue. Great trail though, I most liked the mile or so that you parallel the Lake Superior shoreline. On the north side of a ridge, the trail is largely in the shadows and cool and damp, with a lot of flora that you don't see elsewhere on IR.