New Park Ranger

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

NightoftheGrizzlies
NewbieCake

New Park Ranger

Post by NightoftheGrizzlies »

Hi I’m a new park ranger about to work the 2022 season at IR in Wendigo. I just had a few questions for any rangers who have worked on IR before.
1. How does mail work for Rangers. Would family members be able to send packages or letters to IR?
2. I understand there will be a considerable amount of down time would I be a able to bring a for example a gaming system?
3. Is there any that is not allowed to be brought onto IR?
4. For Park Rangers is there any cell service or Wi-Fi on certain parts of the island.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any answers you can provide.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: New Park Ranger

Post by Ingo »

You'll need to talk to the NPS for definitive answers, but yes there is mail service. The Voyageur II out of Minnesota is the official USPS carrier and comes out 3 times a week--I'm not sure if the NPS brings mail sent to HQ in Houghton to Windigo. I know there is some wi-fi at Mott Island, but not sure about Windigo. My understanding is that it is limited and restricted, however.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH