Itinerary help for first timer...attempt 2

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

mariewh7792
NewbieCake

Itinerary help for first timer...attempt 2

Post by mariewh7792 »

So I posted a while back about my sister possibly going on my Isle Royale backpacking trip in June, but she ended up flaking on my (something about to much solitude ugh like that's a thing lol). Instead of adding onto that one because the advice was great and I'm hoping to go next year with my cousin (he cant get time off and a ferry ticket this year), I'm writing a new one. After all my research I've decided to just say screw it and go on my own. What I want to know is if, since I'll be by my self, if my plan will be too much since I haven't been there before. I'm used to hauling all my camera gear on long hikes (dont worry I'm only taking a select few camera things) so I'm not concerned about my bag weight, just if my plan is too much for a first timer. My trip will be in June.

Day 1
• Head to the cabin (4ish hr drive)

Day 2
• Leave for Copper Harbor (3hr 15min drive - different time zone!!)

○ Must arrive 45-60mins before to check in (8AM EST)!!
• Get to Park around 11AM EST
• Check in, get backpacking pass, etc.
• Hike out to designated Camp
○ Daisy Farm 6.7mi - (3-4hr)
• Sunset at 9:58PM
• Night Photography?

Day 3
• Wake up before sunrise, get a few pics depending on weather(Sunrise at 5:55AM)
○ Head towards Greenstone Ridge Trail (about 1.6mi) - about 1hr hike
○ Head towards Mount Franklin Trail (about 4 mi) - about 2-3hr hike
○ Head towards Rock Harbor Trail and Three Mile campground (about 2mi) 60-90mins
○ 6-7hr trip total without photo and meal breaks included
• Sunset at 9:58PM
• Night Photography?

Day 4
• Sunrise at 5:55AM
• Wake up at 7AM, pack up and make way back to Rock Harbor (2.7 mile)
• Explore trails after set up?
○ Scoville Point (4.5ish mile trip)

Day 5
• Wake up at 7AM, pack up and make way back to Ferry dock
• Ferry leaves at 2:45EST

I know things can change so it's a flexible plan. I just need to know if I'm wanting to get too much in my first time. Thanks in advance!
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Itinerary help for first timer...attempt 2

Post by dcclark »

You are an early riser! As long as you're good with that, the rest looks like no problem. The distances seem just fine.

But: Unless you really want to spend a full day in Rock Harbor, there's no need to go back there on Day 4. Many, many people stay in Three Mile the night before their ferry, then hike in to Rock Harbor in the morning (it's about 1 hour, max). I've done that and had plenty of time to see Scoville Point before departing on the Queen.

So, if you want to see Moskey Basin as well (a wonderful place!) you could do something like this:

Day 2: Daisy Farm (~8 miles)
Day 3: Moskey Basin (~4 miles) -- as an early riser, you should be able to get there early enough to grab a shelter!
Day 4: Three Mile (~8 miles)
Day 5: Hike back to Rock Harbor and do Scoville Point.
mariewh7792
NewbieCake

Post by mariewh7792 »

dcclark wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:08 pm You are an early riser! As long as you're good with that, the rest looks like no problem. The distances seem just fine.

But: Unless you really want to spend a full day in Rock Harbor, there's no need to go back there on Day 4. Many, many people stay in Three Mile the night before their ferry, then hike in to Rock Harbor in the morning (it's about 1 hour, max). I've done that and had plenty of time to see Scoville Point before departing on the Queen.

So, if you want to see Moskey Basin as well (a wonderful place!) you could do something like this:

Day 2: Daisy Farm (~8 miles)
Day 3: Moskey Basin (~4 miles) -- as an early riser, you should be able to get there early enough to grab a shelter!
Day 4: Three Mile (~8 miles)
Day 5: Hike back to Rock Harbor and do Scoville Point.
I was thinking of maybe going to Moskey but thought it may be too far
S_R_L
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by S_R_L »

mariewh7792 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:54 am
Nope, not far at all if you're already at Daisy and IMHO the few extra miles hiked far outweigh spending a day in the Rock Harbor area.
I'm all for a down day but 36 hours at the busiest place on the island is low on my list of things to do.

As mentioned there is plenty of time to get to Rock Harbor and hike the loop over there before your departure.
'22: RH-LC-DF-MB-CH-DF-3M-RH
'21: RH-DF-MB-MC-HL-Malone-SD-WC ~75 miles hiked including side trips.
'20: WC-FL-SB-IM-WC
'18: RH-DF-MB-ECB-DF-RH
'16: RH-LC-DF-TM-RH
'14: WC-HC-WC
TopCarrot
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by TopCarrot »

S_R_L wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:28 pm
mariewh7792 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:54 am
Nope, not far at all if you're already at Daisy and IMHO the few extra miles hiked far outweigh spending a day in the Rock Harbor area.
I'm all for a down day but 36 hours at the busiest place on the island is low on my list of things to do.

As mentioned there is plenty of time to get to Rock Harbor and hike the loop over there before your departure.
I agree, moskey is my fav
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
19 TH-ND-WC-SD-ML Via Voyager McC
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
17 CW-SD-WC greenstone in 50hrs