Another first timer

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Just_kyles
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Another first timer

Post by Just_kyles »

Heading to the isle in early June and trying to decide on a couple of waypoints along the way.

Beyond hiking, photography is always an important aspect of my trips.
I'll have some time in Windigo and Rock Harbor for those areas, but am still debating between Lane Cove and Moskey Basin.
Both are appealing, though I likely could not get to Moskey Basin at the best time of the day for photos.

Itineraries that I'm considering are(distance is not a concern):

Option 1:
Sunday: Fly into Windigo 4PM.
Monday: Windigo to South Lake Desor (11.6)
Tuesday: South Lake Desor to Hatchet Lake (8.1)
Wednesday: Hatchet Lake to East Chickenbone (9.6)
Thursday: East Chickenbone to Lane Cove (11.2)
Friday: Lane Cove to Rock Harbor (7.4)
Saturday: Fly out 11AM.

Option 2:
Sunday: Fly into Windigo 4PM.
Monday: Windigo to South Lake Desor (11.6)
Tuesday: South Lake Desor to Hatchet Lake (8.1)
Wednesday: Hatchet Lake to West Chickenbone (7.9)
Thursday: West Chickenbone to Daisy Farm via Moskey Basin (9.8 )
Friday: Daisy Farm to Rock Harbor via Greenstone for Mount Ojibway and Mount Franklin (9.2)
Saturday: Fly out 11AM.

Thanks
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Another first timer

Post by Ingo »

I'd lean toward Option 2:
(a) E Chickenbone is just a spot in the woods and a good downhill hike to the lake for water. Lowest rated campground on the island. W Chickenbone is right on the lake--I got some very nice sunrise pics with fog rising off the water.
(b) Although Lane Cove is a nicer campground, there aren't very expansive views to the east or west for sunrise/sunsets. Some don't like Daisy Farm because it's the largest on the island, but it shouldn't be too crowded that early, and it can afford some amazing sunrises over Rock Harbor. And potential for sunsets as well, particularly from the dock looking back toward Moskey. Finally, if you're into night skies, the dock again can be great for viewing/photographing the stars.
(c) I wouldn't choose the Thurs route just for a Moskey Basin pass thru. I haven't done either of the routes from Chickenbone to Daisy Farm, so I'll let others chime in on other criteria. But going via Ojibway doubles your chances for good ridge views. Going via Moskey gives you Lake Richie and some shoreline views.

A lot of folks recommend taking the Tobin Harbor trail instead of the Rock Harbor trail from Three Mile in, because it's an easier trail, but the Rock Harbor side has much better views.
Absolutely get up to Mt Ojibway and Franklin for the views. Mt Franklin is the best ridge view on the island, IMO.
Try to get the Scoville Pt hike in at the end of the trip. Beautiful shoreline views. If you're up to hiking 2 miles before dawn to get out to the point for sunrise, do it!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Kelly
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Kelly »

Option 2 as well:

- Lane Cove is nice. It is. The views aren't great.
- As Ingo says, the views at Daisy are great. And if you're lucky, the Petersons will be there on a Thursday evening to talk about the wolf/moose study. At Daisy, Thursday is the traditional evening for these presentations.
- I'd stay on the ridge rather than swing through Moskey, and I love Moskey. The right light is worth a different visit.
- Ditto on the Rock Harbor trail for the views of Lake Superior. Although if you haven't yet encountered any calypso orchids by this point in your trip. you will have better luck on the Tobin Harbor trail.
2012 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2026 A Minong thorough hike
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

I agree with Ingo and Kelly!

One question: What sort of photography are you interested in? I'd give rather different advice if you'd like to carry your 600 mm and photograph moose, than if you want to do astrophotography.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

dcclark wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:28 am One question: What sort of photography are you interested in? I'd give rather different advice if you'd like to carry your 600 mm and photograph moose, than if you want to do astrophotography.
Good point!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I'd recommend you do option #2 as well. Better campsites, much more scenic.
Just_kyles
NewbieCake

Post by Just_kyles »

dcclark wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:28 am I agree with Ingo and Kelly!

One question: What sort of photography are you interested in? I'd give rather different advice if you'd like to carry your 600 mm and photograph moose, than if you want to do astrophotography.
I'm usually much better at landscapes than I am at wildlife photography, but am hoping for a couple of moose photos while I am there.
I generally like my 24-70 or 16-35 for landscapes with a longer lens for detail shots. In this case, I'm thinking a 100-400 so I have at least some reach for wildlife. The 150-600 is not going to make the cut for this trip.
I've used both the 24-70 and 16-35 for a little bit of night sky photography in the past, so I should be covered there as well.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

You won't lack for land- (and sea-)scapes on this trip! Moose are also all over the place. As mentioned above, check out Washington Creek, but also keep your eye out in any swampy or cool place. Moose also like early mornings, so don't sleep in.

I've hauled my gear around Isle Royale before, but at this point I've decided that it isn't worth it if I'm backpacking. For serious photography, I'd choose to settle down in one or two campgrounds so that I can get to know the place a bit more.
Just_kyles
NewbieCake

Post by Just_kyles »

Thanks for all of the feedback.

How is the rodent situation in the campgrounds?
Is it best to hang my food bag if I end up on a tent site instead of in a shelter?
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

Well, in the past the rangers have told us to just keep our food with us in our tent. However, having had chipmunks steal bags of gorp from our campsite at RH, and having had a pack chewed up (not at Isle Royale), I often choose to hang my food bag. But I don’t need to hang it very high, because the hang is to discourage squirrels and such, not bears.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Double bag everything in ziplocks and you'll be OK. Once had a squirrel go thru tent netting, and thru a pack. Once had a mouse get into food in a shelter during the night. Both times it was trail mix that was not properly double sealed and put away (by a companion, for the record :D ). I put everything in a ziplock, and then a drybag since I'm more often paddling. When done, no issues.
Just_kyles
NewbieCake

Post by Just_kyles »

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I returned from my trip this past Saturday, 6/11.
All in, I did about 70 miles from Sunday evening to Saturday morning.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Just_kyles wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:53 pm Thanks for all of the suggestions. I returned from my trip this past Saturday, 6/11.
All in, I did about 70 miles from Sunday evening to Saturday morning.
I hope there's a trip report coming!!