Windigo to Rock Harbor Itinerary

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

homebase_lonestar
NewbieCake

Windigo to Rock Harbor Itinerary

Post by homebase_lonestar »

Taking 3 buddies on our first trip to IR in a month, July 12-16 to be exact. We are all in the 25-35 age range and all fairly active on a daily basis. We have also unknowingly started a yearly tradition of epic hiking/camping trips!

All that to say I've been getting all the logistics together and planning a route. I've read a few blogs and seen some posts on here. Wanted to get feedback on our route. We will be arriving at Windigo and departing from Rock Harbor via ferry both ways.

The main issue I am facing right now is feeling like the initial hike off the ferry is too much to do in the afternoon and worried about camp spots. Same with the last day since the ferry leaves in the morning, should be arrive at Rock Harbor the night before instead of having to get up and hike a few miles the next morning.

Anyways, the current route iteration is below, any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Day 1: Ferry @ Windigo (arrive around 4pm) to Island Mine - 6.6 miles
Day 2: Island Mine to Hatchet Lake - 13 miles
Day 3: Hatchet Lake to Moskey Basin - 13.4 miles
Day 4: Moskey to Three Mile - 8.3 miles
Day 5: Three Mile to Rock Harbor (Ferry departs at 8am) - 2.7

The other option I am considering is just taking the Greenstone Ridge Trail the whole way.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Windigo to Rock Harbor Itinerary

Post by Ingo »

The hike to Island Mine is relatively easy--uphill, but gradual and decent trail. I'm much older, slow, and not in particularly great shape and got in around 4 I think. Although you should feel better when you get into camp than I did :D . Some even push on to Lake Desor. As far as camp spots, just get up and going early and don't worry about it--sharing campsites is the norm if things get full.

At the end, spending the last night at Three Mile or Rock Harbor is really your preference and how you're feeling. If you're good with the previous 13 mile days, then going on to RH isn't a problem. The only issue with Three Mile, of course, is making sure you don't miss the boat!

Your 13 mile days are a lot for most, although not an issue for more experienced backpackers. If you think they may be too much, you could shorten the trip and get picked up at Daisy Farm instead (assuming you're using the Voyageur II). You could then stay at W Chickenbone and Daisy Farm the last 2 nights, for example.

Have a great trip!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

That looks like a good first trip to Isle Royale! The first 6.6 miles to Island Mine is pretty easy, just a more-or-less steady climb up through forest. And Island Mine is pretty spacious campground, there will likely be room to fit a couple tents in, even if you need to share a site.

I'm curious about your 4pm arrival. That's an unusual time - is that one of the extra sailings of the Ranger, coming to Windigo on an off-day? the times don't seem to add up. What port are you parking your car at, and which ferries are you taking (name the boat!).

Whether to just take the Greenstone the whole way depends on several things, but I like your route. My very first Isle Royale trip was this route in reverse. The day you hike from Moskey basin to 3-mile (Day 4), If your group is feeling energetic, hike from Moskey basin to Daisy Farm then go up to the ridge, past the Ojibway Tower (great views), along the GRT to Mt. Franklin (more great views) and then down into Three-Mile campground. The last day, you will want to take the Rock Harbor Trail for a taste of the hustle and bustle of Rock Harbor as the main expressway for the island! Or, you could add that extra 3 miles to Day 4 and spend the night in Rock Harbor campground.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
homebase_lonestar
NewbieCake

Bobcat, we are taking the Ranger II coming to Windigo on an off-day, one of the special sailings of the summer. We will be returning via the Ranger II as well. All out of Houghton.

Thanks for the advice!
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

My only concern is that your schedule doesn't leave you with an "out" if anything goes wrong. In particular, if you discover that the island is a bit rougher than you expect, or somebody gets a minor injury, you won't be able to take a break or slow down. But this is hard to fix, since you'd need to extend your trip by at least 2 days to catch the Ranger III again.

You mention epic hiking/camping trips -- have you backpacked 13 miles before? In what kind of terrain?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

homebase_lonestar wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:14 am we are taking the Ranger II coming to Windigo on an off-day, one of the special sailings of the summer. We will be returning via the Ranger II as well.
Ahh, obviously I made a false assumption. Forgot about those special Windigo trips by the Ranger III.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
homebase_lonestar
NewbieCake

dcclark wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:33 am My only concern is that your schedule doesn't leave you with an "out" if anything goes wrong. In particular, if you discover that the island is a bit rougher than you expect, or somebody gets a minor injury, you won't be able to take a break or slow down. But this is hard to fix, since you'd need to extend your trip by at least 2 days to catch the Ranger III again.

You mention epic hiking/camping trips -- have you backpacked 13 miles before? In what kind of terrain?

The concerns make sense. I will have to put some thought to that as I continue to build out the route. This group has backpacked through other parks such as the Grand Tetons and remote/harsh environments in our backyard like Big Bend National Park where it is a true pack in/pack out situation with no water access along the route.
TopCarrot
Trailblazer

Post by TopCarrot »

homebase_lonestar wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:23 pm
dcclark wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:33 am My only concern is that your schedule doesn't leave you with an "out" if anything goes wrong. In particular, if you discover that the island is a bit rougher than you expect, or somebody gets a minor injury, you won't be able to take a break or slow down. But this is hard to fix, since you'd need to extend your trip by at least 2 days to catch the Ranger III again.

The concerns make sense. I will have to put some thought to that as I continue to build out the route. This group has backpacked through other parks such as the Grand Tetons and remote/harsh environments in our backyard like Big Bend National Park where it is a true pack in/pack out situation with no water access along the route.
Moskey to rock harbor can easily be done in one day. That could make up some time if needed.
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
19 TH-ND-WC-SD-ML Via Voyager McC
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
17 CW-SD-WC greenstone in 50hrs
Bobcat1
Bushwacker

Post by Bobcat1 »

And, if you find yourself struggling with the mileage, just head straight in on the Greenstone and substitute E. Chickenbone, to 3-mile. But I do like your route, and if your group is up to it, I am sure you will enjoy it!
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

This is a totally doable hike. I've done it once at the same age. Your first day hike is easy. The 13 mile day will be a lot due to the nature of hiking 13 miles, but that's it.

Since you caught this rare Ranger-to-Windigo boat (didn't know that was a thing), I think this is a fantastic itinerary for you. An opportunity for you backpackers coming out of Michigan!

One tip I have is eat any "heavy" meal(s) you may be carrying that first night in Island Mine... For some reason, it provides mean mental boost that my pack is just a little bit lighter for the rest of the hike :D

Also, I don't remember there being a lot of water available for the first portion of the hike out of Island Mine, so best to fill all your water vessels in the Island Mine Creek.
homebase_lonestar
NewbieCake

Great advice fonixmunkee! The rare Ranger to Windigo only happens a few times a season and they post those dates when they release the ferry schedule. Just happened to line up with our trip!
S_R_L
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by S_R_L »

fonixmunkee wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:30 am
Also, I don't remember there being a lot of water available for the first portion of the hike out of Island Mine, so best to fill all your water vessels in the Island Mine Creek.
That was going to be my comment. Make sure you have enough water out of Island Mine as there is not really any quick place to stop to filter more water along the way.
'22: RH-LC-DF-MB-CH-DF-3M-RH
'21: RH-DF-MB-MC-HL-Malone-SD-WC ~75 miles hiked including side trips.
'20: WC-FL-SB-IM-WC
'18: RH-DF-MB-ECB-DF-RH
'16: RH-LC-DF-TM-RH
'14: WC-HC-WC