Tentative itinerary

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Skidmodl22
NewbieCake

Tentative itinerary

Post by Skidmodl22 »

Would appreciate feedback on my tentative itinerary for myself and my adult son. This is his first backpacking trip; I've done it before but it's been a while. We're fit and without backpacks hike pretty fast. I've been to IR years ago for a week of backpacking but someone else planned the itinerary. Just wonder if there are any logistical details that I'm overlooking. Thx!
Day 1: Arriving Rock Harbor 1130 am; water taxi to Hidden Lake dock; hike to Lane Cove
Day 2: Hike to Moskey Basin
Day 3: Hike to Chippewa Harbor
Day 4: Hike to West Chicken Lake
Day 5: Hike to Daisy Farm
Day 6: Hike back to Rock Harbor and catch 245 Queen to Copper Harbor
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: Tentative itinerary

Post by torpified »

That looks doable! Although it doesn't leave you much slack in case of lousy weather or other unwelcome inefficiencies. By Day 2, you'll have a good sense of how much ground you enjoy covering in a day, and you can revise the itinerary on the fly--for instance, leaving the spur to Chippewa for another trip---if that's what makes sense.

You're going to love Day 1!---you'll get to see fire impacts, and hike the less-trafficked eastern end of the GRT. Less-trafficked means fainter, so keep your eyes peeled for cairns/the telltale pink treadway/exits when you're on the barer ridges.

One larger strategic point to consider is whether to arrive at Rock Harbor on Day 5. That would take the stress out of making good enough time to meet the ferry, and also give you a chance to hike to Scoville point--which is mostly frontcountry but well worth doing---on Day 6. One way to pull that off, fairly consistent with the daily mileages you're contemplating, would be to go to WCB (or [edited to correct] McCargo Cove) on Day 3, then Daisy on Day 4.
Last edited by torpified on Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

I agree with torpified: Looks doable, but you also need to work in some slack. I'd highly recommend a zero day: It lets you stay somewhere you really like for an extra day, but it also lets you rest if you're injured, an avoid making a minor injury into a major one. It also gives you flexibility in case of weather delays (on the boat or on the trail).

You'll have a great time no matter what. Enjoy!
Skidmodl22
NewbieCake

Post by Skidmodl22 »

Thanks, guys! Love this community. I'm so grateful that my 22 y/o son wants to do this with me!