TR: 6/18 - 6/25, 2022 [Paddling] [Inland lake loop]

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

TopCarrot
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: TR: 6/18 - 6/25, 2022 [Paddling] [Inland lake loop]

Post by TopCarrot »

torpified wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:29 am your culinary exploits astonish me! It's all I can do to boil water for via and ramen. Do you test these systems at home first, or do you improvise them in the field??
I’ll say this. At least, two of the people on this trip are top notch cooks IRL. And the three guys are pretty skilled tinkers (farmer, engineer, and missionary).
Above all canoeing let us bring some extra gear and a plan with reasonable mileage left us plenty of free time.

I will have to see if these can implemented on hikes.
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
19 TH-ND-WC-SD-ML Via Voyager McC
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
17 CW-SD-WC greenstone in 50hrs
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

TopCarrot wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:06 am TE: +wind at our back on Siskwit -going too fast through Whittlesey
Wind at your back on Siskiwit, sweet! That means CH and Whittlesey, too! Had a miserable day once doing CH -> MB paddling into wind and whitecaps all day.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
TopCarrot
Trailblazer

Post by TopCarrot »

Day 4
We ate breakfast and packed up with the plan to make Lake Richie Canoe and Moskey the next night. The weather looked great until we crossed the ridge and saw Siskiwit. The wind was blowing due East and hard enough to have the occasional whitecap. The plan was to hug the coast until Eagle Nest Island and then angle towards the portage just east of all the islands using them for cover. We launched the first canoe and the second and by the time I was in the water, it was clear that this plan was not viable. We instead headed straight across. Just enough of an angle to not head straight into the wind and just enough to not get hit sideways by the waves. We made it about 1/3 of the way and the wind and waves dropped off. We thought we were close enough to be shielded by the shore. About five minutes later the wind and waves were back even stronger. We kept our heading, but I assume due to the variations in skill and designs of the canoe, that approach angle varied for each boat. I would be interested in a sailor's take on this. We sat the lowest and would take waves over the side the more North we headed, Northwest was the only option. The aluminum boat wasn't fast enough to paddle into the wind but could handle the side waves better and headed North. Blue had some marital difficulties and picked a line in between but moved very slowly. This was by far the most spread out we ever were in questionable weather. After a tough 20 minutes that felt like an hour, we all made it to shore cover. We picked the first clearing and climbed out on a log jam for the first break and recap of that adventure.
The rest of Siskwit was a cakewalk by comparison. SE put in one trolling rod and snagged a beast over the limit. Thrilled to finally have one in the bag, it was released and we hit the portage. This was another double portage day but the first is short and a breeze under 8 minutes. TE tried and succeeded on carry the pack and canoe in one trip. The intermediate lake was pleasant. A couple of pike made it into the boats. We tried the switch spots in the canoe with me in the front. We were hoping it would provide more power but the weight was too far off and made steering too difficult. One and done. The campsite did not look inviting (dense and buggy) so we just paddled by without looking around. We did not see a boat or tent, but one could have achieved a contact high without much effort. Strong. There must have been someone tucked in there enjoying the nature. Not the outdone, JB and TB tried to carry packs and team carry the aluminum. While weight reduction is nice, the balance and lack of yoke make it difficult. They made it 700 ft. For whatever reason, this was by far the hardest portage. It felt much longer than listed. Steep downhill the last section. Roots and slippery downhill rock sections. "0 out of 10, would not recommend"
Richie was calm and clear. The map for the canoe campsite was a little off. We landed early but found the trail. Lake Richie Canoe is listed as 3 campsites. I could not find the third spot. There were a couple of pads close to the outhouse. We stayed close to the rock outcropping, which had three pads each capable of holding at least two tents. I assume that the traffic is so low that sites 2 and 3 don't get used and are overgrown. This location was perfect. I will need to put a little perspective on it to rank it properly but it is by far my favorite campground without shelters. Moskey #8 has been my favorite but this site was amazing. We will see how I feel about it later.
We set up, had lunch, and jumped off the rocks on the North side half a dozen times. Half of us went fishing and half took a nap. The fishing was great that day. I show 9 caught and I am not sure how many we threw back. We were starting to get a little picky. Everyone had caught at least a couple by this point and the afternoon boat crew saw our first moose. Fried up some more pike for dinner and we ate them as fish tacos.
Highs and Lows
TB: +record smallest fish -perfect storm, we almost died in the pacific ocean, with sharks and paddling through cement
TE: +portages went really well for me, SE caught that 32" -exciting crossing of Siskiwit
Me: +this site is great, 1st portage was great, another fish fry, jumping in the lake -2nd time the waves picked up, 2nd portage (most exertion ever)
SE: +finally taking a S@#% -having to rush out of Malone and start the day.
JB: +the food every day of the trip is the best. -Siskiwit crossing and the 2nd portage
Le: +seeing the moose and catching the first fish -canoeing from the back of the boat of intermediate.
Saw a family of bald eagles and nest, and so many turtles (maybe laying eggs?) and saw no people for the second day.
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

Lots of interesting insights.

A few comments:

1. Siskiwit definitely warrants respect. It tends to be calm in the early morning. Doesn't sound like you were that fortunate.

2. We did the Intermediate to Richie portage in the opposite direction last year and don't remember it being difficult (and it was the fourth portage of the day). Maybe there was a lot of downhill going from Richie to Intermediate.

3. The Intermediate campsite is actually quite nice. We've spent several nights there. True, there isn't a bluff-top view of the lake, and the landing isn't great. But we've never found it to be buggy. It's nestled in a shady stand of spruce, and there always seems to be a breeze off the lake. One tent pad is elevated, perfectly flat, with railroad ties surrounding a luxurious bed of spruce needles.

But - your experience may vary.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
TopCarrot
Trailblazer

Post by TopCarrot »

Day 5
The current plan was to make this portage back to Moskey the only activity for the day. But over the course of the evening and morning, I convinced myself that staying another day at Lake Richie Canoe would be the best plan. Then a night at moskey then RH. We had a weather radio that we had been checking every day but at Lake Richie, we could only get it in French which was not that helpful. So our last forecast was calling for clear, but it was a couple of days old. At breakfast, I presented my new idea. I got one super quick buy-in. Our Mr. Chill was down for either and had no preference. Two of the ladies were super concerned about the portage and wanted to get it over and the possibility of a shelter. I understood, but we didn't have a plan for the other 3 nights and could end up at daisy or 3-mile which would be Zoos. The last vote was "I love Moskey". Which in case you are tracking, did not add much clarity. It was a problem that I had built for us. I was doing the planning and gauging the skills and exhaustion. Giving out information and plans to get by-in, seemed reasonable, especially with the challenging open water crossing and such. I had done a trip (Rockies) with an outfitter many years ago where we were given only a map without a mile scale, no watches, and only told the destination each morning to cut down on the complaining. That didn't seem like a plan that would work either.
So we headed out for Moskey. It's a long portage. SE "I did not really hate this", TB "The portage expectations were right on point". We carried everything on the first trip except two canoes and made Moskey before 11. Only find the place already full. A volunteer repair group had reserved two shelters slated for repairs and had just arrived and were moving gear and cinder block to rebuild the foundations. The options, as we saw them, were to try and find some space to squeeze in or leave the campground and try to find a suitable back-country site. NPS has updated the back-country map, and the north side of the basin shows the shoreline off-limits in red and we weren't sure what distance that meant and the NPS boats were all over the dock unloading that gear, so we headed out along the south side. That is, after lunch and that second half of the portage. Even longer the second time by the way. 7 board section BTW. We spotted an unmarked creepy old mine shaft. We found only one spot that may have worked, everything else had a 3-5 ft rock edge and dense cedars. We got out and figure the bugs were going too rough. Now we started to compound our bad decisions. Today was just supposed to be a portage day. Now we hoped for an afternoon shelter at Daisy, #nope. Every site was taken before 3pm. and people were already doubled in most of the tent sites. Still compounding mistakes, Le and I headed to Caribou to "for sure" get a shelter. The wind was with us and waves were choppy crossing the open section. All shelters were filled and we did not realize there was a tent site or we may have stayed, (it was taken too, we found out the next day, but still probably worth it). I was kinda good we didn't know, waves were even rougher on the way back. It took more than an hour to tack over and still took 6 pretty good-sized waves over the edge. Now fully whooped, we crashed in a group site that by the end of the night had 7 tents. I know it's resulting a bit, but leaving Moskey was a bad call.
TE quote for the day "yesterday was the best day, today was the worst".
Highs and Lows
TE: + carried all the gear on my first trip, - Everything after that
SE: +chatting with all those strangers over the lunch break at Moskey -leaving Moskey
TB: +getting setup, sleeping anywhere -Portage was as expected
Me: +Canoe with the wind to Daisy and to Caribou -worst day, started sour and ended sourer
JB: +portage is behind us -get off schedule, expectations not met
Le: +debriefing in the tents after we had a spot. -crossing back from Caribou

Some more quotes
Summary "We traded our wife, for a $5 hooker"
Shouted from a tent around 11pm "New low for the day, too many people"
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
backwoods doc
Trailblazer

Post by backwoods doc »

TopCarrot wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:52 am Some more quotes
Summary "We traded our wife, for a $5 hooker"
Ouch. Really rough day.

I'm guessing that final quote was from the missionary in the group.
TopCarrot
Trailblazer

Post by TopCarrot »

Day 6
We woke up and took a voluntary 8am hike up to Mt. Ojibway. Full participation. There was some complaining that it was not voluntary, but idk. The view was great as usual. And it was half of the group's first time. "Rough on the way up, forgot we were hiking on the way down". After figuring out there was a tent site, we decided that Caribou was the destination for the day regardless of whether it was full. With Daisy being so full, we figured we will found enough flat space to set up our three tents. We made it before 11a. There was a boater in one shelter and a group of 3 kayakers who had tented there the night before moved over to the other shelter. There was a strong likelihood of T-storms that day and night, but we were grateful to not be in Daisy. We set up at the tent site around the picnic table. In the afternoon 5 or 6 more kayakers showed up and we all worked together to find them another site. The first group loan out their picnic table and there was enough of a clearing behind the first tent site before the outhouse that they had a soft landing. Plenty of fishing around Cemetery island and off the dock. A ranger stopped by the check the trees overhanging the shelters. Half of a big birch tree was targeted for removal. By the evening another big boat docked by they were sleeping below deck. TE and I went out to circumnavigate the island. Starting on the south and heading counter-clockwise the first half was amazing. Steep rock ledges all sheared off vertically like pages of a book. Big sweeping coves that have been driftwood collectors year generations. Took more than an hour to get to the narrow channel between islands with plenty of stops for peaking around and fishing deep holes. Then things got thick and difficult. Cedars right down to the water's edge. We would walk a little inland and try to find thimbleberry patches. We did come across what appeared to be two grave sites and never found the engine room. TE did manage to step on a log and get speared by an old branch tip. It went through the shoe and drew some blood but I was able to pull it out with a needle nose. It took another hour to get back. TE summary 1/3 interesting, 1/3 repetitive, 1/3 a train wreck. There was a decaying moose just behind the outhouse and shelter covered in a tarp to keep the bugs and smell down. We jumped off the dock to clean up again in the afternoon sun. Much colder than Siskiwit or Richie. We ate the rest of the smoked fish in a potatoe soup and made apps out of the grilled tortillas and leftover cheeses and packaged meats that we still had. We also cleaned up some fallen branches around the sites and brought them down for a fire that evening. When we met that boater crew at dusk one was an industry contact for me and I think it might be a good fit for doing some deals. It is always amazing the types you find, once you self-select into nature together.
Highs and Lows
TE: +Chill day, sun, old folks were canoe building experts -stepping on that stick
Le: +Ojibway hike, talking and snoozing the afternoon away -cold water jumping in
JB: +Good down day -not any fish caught today
ME: +looking around the south and east of the island -Almost too hot
SE: +views around the island -all the bugs
TB: +Quiet campsite, mostly empty, hanging on the pier all-day
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
TopCarrot
Trailblazer

Post by TopCarrot »

Day 7
The predicted thunderstorms amounted to almost nothing. It rained for less than 20 seconds and had plenty of lighting to the south. Caught another nice break. We packed up pretty fast as we all had gotten the hang of the gear we had and headed off to Rock Harbor. Wind was at our face, we hugged the shore and raced the hikers back to camp. We passed at least 40 people. We made Rock Harbor before 10 and all the shelters were already taken. It was reported that several people were of stays longer than 1 night. This is the first time in all my trips that I had heard of anyone overstaying the campground limits. It sparked some mixed emotions, I make every effort to stick to the rules even when they don't make tons of sense. I was not about to report anyone. I also understand that sometimes plans need to be altered and boats don't show and injuries happen. I also am positive that if the alleged offenders were overstaying the 1-night limit in a tent site, no one would have cared. After a little discussion about the possibility of setting up at Tooker, we returned the one canoe and set up in campsite 16. There was only space for our 3 tents so we knew that we would at least have the site to ourselves. After one more check of shelters, our lone extrovert found a hiking duo previously met down the trail was good friends with a solo camper and they might be willing to combine into 1 shelter and open the other for us. On that note, we headed down to the grill for lunch. After eating so well all trip the grill lunch was not something we felt as desperate for. I'd have been fine eating from our packs and from the lake again. A weird but enjoyable difference. After lunch, half of us went out on the Lookout Lousie hike and to survey the fire damage.
The fire was super interesting. It did not burn as I would have expected. We only found two spots where the trees actually burnt up. In the rest of the areas, the ground burnt. Roots and moss and ground cover were gone. This left a visual display of all the boulders that I assume would be present in all other sections of similar topography. With the roots burnt, the standing timber blew down over the winter. 1000's of trees blown down. Oddly, every once in a while, a tree survived - Tulip poplar or pine/cader. Those trees are going to have such an advantage over the next decades. Overall, I would estimate, 1% actually burnt up (Branches and trunk burnt), 2% survived, 60% blew down, and the rest were dead and still standing.
We hiked to the lookout which was ok. No fire damage there but the view is not as nice as Franklin. We hiked to the portage and then down to the steep side to see how bad it would be. I was thinking about the logistics of the accent until TE pointed out that going down, the angle of the canoe would need to be nearly 45 degrees to avoid the stern bumping the ground. Crazy.
We ate dinner at the grill and grabbed some midnight snacks before the store closed. The deal for the shelter did not materialize. The queen and the ranger were leaving the next day, so it made me wonder about the camper flow patterns and heat maps. We played cards in the largest tent until one of group could not keep her laughing to a post-quiet hour level.
Highs and Lows
TB: +"best bathroom of my life" (RH), warm water and soap, an opportunity to shower and the choice not to, -3 mile site is not 2 miles away from rock harbor, found out I am an A-hole for not liking white shirt girl, Thought I had a butthole leach.
Me: +I think I am going to track down the campsite use data even through FOIA, Ranger Katie -passing all those people we could see on the trail and still not getting a shelter.
JB: +another down day -No lows
TE: +hiking the burnt area -So many canker sores
SE: +"I don't even know right now, there are so many highs" -Whole face is chapped
Le: +the canoe back from Tobin, "I didn't paddle and no one yelled at me" -not getting a shelter, but I am over it
Last edited by TopCarrot on Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
TopCarrot
Trailblazer

Post by TopCarrot »

Day 8
We hiked the Stoll Trail out to the point and saw another Moose and the Bald eagle nest. Looks like the fire possibly jumped to the peninsula across from Scoville point as they had piles of trees near those cabins. Saw one of those rare blue garter snakes. It sprinkled on us again during the hike but didn't get anyone soaked. Our last lunch at the grill, and then sat down at Snug harbor watching the comings and goings. We did see a coastal brook trout in the water by the dock. It was easy enough to tell after we had been handling the lake trout all week.
On our recap, none of the ladies ever had to use the restroom at night, but it was due to self-inflicted dehydration.
Queen back was uneventful as desired.
Stopped for dinner in Houghton and some snacks for the night journey home.
Rained pretty heavy most of the UP then cleared up. In all, the 1104 miles round trip went smooth until 30 miles to go when we had a canoe come loose and fall off. We heard it and pulled over on the outside of a curve. We could not see it but no trucks were braking or avoiding it. We circled back around and found it right in the grass. The stern had hit hard and chipped the fiberglass and one seat popped loose. We aren't sure why it came loose but are thankful it did not cause any issues. We were in bed by 5am. long day. Exhausting trip. But after a couple of days, the positive memory start to surge back and you think about the next time you can make it to, the good place.
Last edited by TopCarrot on Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
Bobcat1
Bushwacker

Post by Bobcat1 »

The time I was in Rock Harbor for three nights injured, people arrived at 7am from 3-mile to bag a shelter. Another time, when I was windbound in RH and meticulously following the rules, I left my kayak (full of most of my gear) on the public canoe rack behind the ranger station and walked to 3-mile to sleep. I found 3-mile full to bursting including 5 tents in the overflow group site. When I got back to RH at the crack of dawn, only one shelter was occupied, by a pair of canoers who were windbound same as me but had not chosen to walk to 3-M to strictly observe the 1-night limit. RH population is highly dependent on the coming and going of the ferries, and one night each week it’s almost empty.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
backwoods doc
Trailblazer

Post by backwoods doc »

I prefer not to stress over getting a shelter, and am confident that if we truly needed one for safety reasons, someone would share.
TopCarrot
Trailblazer

Post by TopCarrot »

backwoods doc wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:31 am I prefer not to stress over getting a shelter, and am confident that if we truly needed one for safety reasons, someone would share.
I do prefer this mentality. I am easy going on those days. And when it is just one tent worth, tent sites are great, otherwise the group dynamic aren’t the same. Rain aside, I sleep the same.
Last edited by TopCarrot on Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
TopCarrot
Trailblazer

Post by TopCarrot »

Bobcat1 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:33 am When I got back to RH at the crack of dawn, only one shelter was occupied, by a pair of canoers who were windbound same as me but had not chosen to walk to 3-M to strictly observe the 1-night limit. RH population is highly dependent on the coming and going of the ferries, and one night each week it’s almost empty.
The night daisy was packed, the last group into our tent site at 9pm said there were three open shelters at 3 mile. So they pressed on assuming daisy would be empty too. I have never taken the Ranger so I always forget her schedule and the influx related.
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Thanks for the detailed report(s)! Have enjoyed the read.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
TopCarrot
Trailblazer

Post by TopCarrot »

treeplanter wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:06 am
TopCarrot wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:53 am......Moose count estimates are as low as 1300 which is markedly down from the peak of nearly 2000.......
That's a dramatic drop in moose numbers! I look forward to reading the Winter Study report, when it's published.
Here it is.

viewtopic.php?t=4742
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH