Pregnant on Isle Royale

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Gwen46
NewbieCake

Pregnant on Isle Royale

Post by Gwen46 »

Hi! My family is interested in planning a trip to Isle Royale next spring, while we’re also planning for a baby soon (writing this is September). We can plan, but we can’t guarantee a due date or know how far along I could potentially be. Has anyone traveled to Isle Royale while pregnant? Do you have any advice? What is access to healthcare like if medical needs should arise? Thanks!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Pregnant on Isle Royale

Post by Ingo »

There is no healthcare on the island, the best you could hope for is a ranger EMT, or perhaps another visitor who was a medical professional. You most certainly would not want to go into labor there. On one trip my son-in-law broke his wrist and it took 2 1/2 days to get back to the mainland and a hospital. In extreme cases the Coast Guard may do an emergency evacuation, but even that would take hours. Otherwise you must rely on the normal transportation service schedules to return to the mainland and health services.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

Ingo has described the healthcare issue on IR perfectly. If you had problems that require immediate treatment, you could be waiting a long time. When I was on IR back in 2016, somebody broke their leg in the back country. Somebody else from their party had to walk to the nearest campground (Three Mile?) and notify the Park Service. The rangers had to walk to the injured hiker and carried them back on a stretcher. A helicopter flew in from Thunder Bay and took then to a hospital. All this took several hours.
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

As a physician who provides obstetric care my advice is simple: don't travel to Isle Royale while you are pregnant. It's just not worth the risk. Carrying heavy loads (if that is part of your plan) while pregnant is not advisable, and prompt evacuation is often not feasible. There will be other years to make your trip.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

I would take your trip the summer after - you can take a toddler in a baby backpack and plan a relatively easy trip! My very first trip to Isle Royale, there was a young family on the inbound ferry with me that did McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor in 4 days and by their account they had a wonderful trip, with the child in one backpack carrier and the other parent carrying most of the gear.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

From August 31 until Sept. 4 there was a mother with a 2 and 1/2 year old and a two month old (nursing) on the west end (area). Next year might work 4 you (Gwen46). The 2.5 year old had a great time. I had a peak/a/boo with her several times. Children need places from ISRO NP, so do we.