Backpacking with a basecamp in the middle

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

amandawayne
NewbieCake

Backpacking with a basecamp in the middle

Post by amandawayne »

Good day!
I am starting to plan a group trip for next June. We are six people of varying skill levels. For two of my group, this will be their first even backpacking trip. Another two have gone only once before and did 18 miles over 3 days. I would like to do a blended backpacking, basecamp, day hiking itinerary, if possible. I'm hoping someone can give me some insight into where would be good spots to set up a two night basecamp where there would be some good day hikes. Ideally, we would arrive, do the registering stuff, then hike 3-4 miles to a camp, then 5-7 the next day to a basecamp to stay two nights (ideally with day hikes or POI), then another 5-7 to a last campsite before a hike to the lodge. Is there a itinerary that makes this possible? I don't want to push the new ones too much and I think a two night rest in the middle will go a long way toward making it enjoyable while still giving them a backcountry experience. Thank you!
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Backpacking with a basecamp in the middle

Post by dcclark »

Welcome!

I'm assuming you are arriving at Rock Harbor (not Windigo) based on mentioning the lodge. If that's correct, then here's a pretty good match for what you want:

1. Arrive at Rock Harbor, register, and hike to Three Mile (3 miles :).
2. Hike to Daisy Farm and set up a base camp (4-ish miles).
3-4. Do day hikes up to the Mt. Ojibway tower (do the whole Mt. Ojibway loop if you can), and out to Moskey Basin and back. Other possibilities include hiking the ridge to Mt. Franklin and back).
5. Return to Rock Harbor by going up on the Greenstone, through Mt. Franklin, and finally Tobin Harbor (8-ish miles). Enjoy the lodge.

You'll see plenty of terrain and interesting sights. Some people don't like Daisy Farm, but I think it's perfect for what you want: Centrally located, good day hikes, and no worry about staying 2 nights (some campgrounds, including Rock Harbor, have a 1 night stay limit).
amandawayne
NewbieCake

Post by amandawayne »

Thank you! One other concern is that one of my ladies has epilepsy and ridges make her really uncomfortable. She imagines having a seizure and falling to her death. It makes those sections really anxiety producing, so I try to avoid them when routing, if i can. How is the Greenstone? Is it like a trail along a cliff kind of ridge?
Having done some more research, I thought perhaps RH to 3 to Daisy, then day hikes from daisy. Or, possibly doing a water taxi to Chippewa and hiking back to RH. Do you have any experience with the water taxis?
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I very much back dcclark's suggestions. You won't have the greater privacy that could be found at some other campgrounds but you will have a greater opportunity to meet some wonderful people.

I can't think of any trails where a fall would result in almost certain death, but I haven't been on every trail. Certainly nothing along the potential hikes that dcclark suggested have dangerous trails. The very few spots on trails where there is a nearby steep elevation change would be more likely to result in a sprain or maybe a break in one's arm or leg (more like falling down a small set of stairs). The cliffs, which are mostly along north facing ridges are not right along the Greenstone Ridge trail, although in a few spots one could venture just several feet and be near the precipice of a cliff. There is nowhere that you need climbing skills or where you are hugging a wall while looking down at certain death. I do remember a set of switchbacks on the Lane Cove trail that are a bit steep and might qualify as a bit "scary". A different type of trail that might trigger your friend are the several boardwalks through swampy regions. These are usually constructed from 2x12 planks and almost never have handrails. A fall from them would generally not be life threatening but one would certainly get soaked.
173452838_10226314185071899_6748936265985822151_n.jpg
208241913_2997814673796077_7806267305830369821_n.jpg
This last picture is meant to illustrate a steeper climb (up or down). But they are infrequent (on most trails).
305933482_10121552970067034_4697821295756150732_n.jpg
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

I agree that the Greenstone does not have the type of terrain that could lead to a major fall. The only thing even close is Mt. Franklin, but the trail avoids the "cliff" part of that -- you have to go out of your way to get near the edge. But if the thought of it causes anxiety, you could choose to stay along the Rock Harbor trail and avoid the high ridges.

Something that's worth thinking about: The Rock Harbor trail can be deceptively difficult, even though it is mostly "flat". Ed's last photo is a good example of what the trail can look like. I've attached another: It's a narrow rock walkway between a bluff and Lake Superior. It's not a large fall, but when walking through there I always wonder if I might slip into the lake if the waves were a bit higher. Would this be a problem?

Finally, a water taxi could be fun, but it's expensive and somewhat limits your options (since you have to be sure you're in a certain place at a certain time). Part of the fun of Isle Royale, in my opinion, is the ability to change your plans at any time and do whatever you feel best about.
Attachments
Edited-0037.jpg
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

Instead of taking a water taxi from RH to Chippewa, you could overnight in RH your first night, then take the Voyageur to Chippewa the next day. Less expensive, but just be sure to check the Voyageur schedule carefully. They overnight in RH every other day, except for Fridays.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

backwoods doc wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:24 am Instead of taking a water taxi from RH to Chippewa, you could overnight in RH your first night, then take the Voyageur to Chippewa the next day. Less expensive, but just be sure to check the Voyageur schedule carefully. They overnight in RH every other day, except for Fridays.
Actually, for 6 people the water taxi is quite a bit cheaper ($205) vs the Voyageur II (66x6=$396). There's an economy of scale with the water taxi--for 1 it's very expensive, but once you get to 3 it's comparable to using the Voyageur II, and above that cheaper.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by chief54 »

Midwest Ed wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:06 pm I very much back dcclark's suggestions. You won't have the greater privacy that could be found at some other campgrounds but you will have a greater opportunity to meet some wonderful people.

I can't think of any trails where a fall would result in almost certain death, but I haven't been on every trail. Certainly nothing along the potential hikes that dcclark suggested have dangerous trails. The very few spots on trails where there is a nearby steep elevation change would be more likely to result in a sprain or maybe a break in one's arm or leg (more like falling down a small set of stairs). The cliffs, which are mostly along north facing ridges are not right along the Greenstone Ridge trail, although in a few spots one could venture just several feet and be near the precipice of a cliff. There is nowhere that you need climbing skills or where you are hugging a wall while looking down at certain death. I do remember a set of switchbacks on the Lane Cove trail that are a bit steep and might qualify as a bit "scary". A different type of trail that might trigger your friend are the several boardwalks through swampy regions. These are usually constructed from 2x12 planks and almost never have handrails. A fall from them would generally not be life threatening but one would certainly get soaked.

173452838_10226314185071899_6748936265985822151_n.jpg

208241913_2997814673796077_7806267305830369821_n.jpg

This last picture is meant to illustrate a steeper climb (up or down). But they are infrequent (on most trails).
305933482_10121552970067034_4697821295756150732_n.jpg
Totally agree with all suggestions and observations esp. about the boardwalks, they can be slippery and easy to fall off, as I have many times, Thanks for using one of my images I am glad it helps illustrate the boardwalks.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

chief54 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:48 pmThanks for using one of my images I am glad it helps illustrate the boardwalks.
Apologies for the lack of attribution.
I have been collecting every image of Island trails I come across to make a video ala Ken Burns. Still evaluating software.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by chief54 »

No worries about the lack of attributions, Ken Burns video sounds like a great idea, how much in royalties can I expect? :D :D :D, If you would like to see any more of my images send me a pm.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times