Have u ever met nicer folks, then at ISRO?

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Have u ever met nicer folks, then at ISRO?

Post by jerry »

On my 8/30-9/4 visit, I had a great trip. Meeting some of the nicest folks ever on the island. I was given a short tour of the cabins. & I shared a shelter with some pleasant folks and they even rented a row boat and took me out to the nearby island with a shelter on it. More later.
pixtory
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Have u ever met nicer folks, then at ISRO?

Post by pixtory »

I haven't figured out if it's that the best people go to Isle Royale or if it's that Isle Royale brings out the best in people, but it's a good thing either way!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/someboldadventure/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVdhjH ... it2ycX6xUg
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

I think the outdoors tend to bring out the best in people. My buddy and I have many good memories with complete strangers during our backpacking trips. We sat on the dock at Daisy Farm after dinner until sunset with about six backpackers just discussing life and other backpacking experiences. Sat around a bonfire for about two hours during our last night on North Manitou Island with 10 - 12 backpackers and the park ranger. We all were captivated listening to his stories about being a park ranger. I still remember his name, Brian Kavanaugh. Then there was the night we spent crammed into a shelter with probably 15 other backpackers at the Guyout camp area during a Pemi Loop hike in the White Mountains. Every one of those experiences was with complete strangers, but some of the best backpacking memories I have had.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

Mostly true, although I did meet a group of fishermen with big powerboats that were not in the least interested in making room for a kayaker at Beaver Island near Windigo.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

I guess some fishing folks are nice and others not so. At Chippewa Harbor, I was given as much grilled fish as I wanted, by some nice folks. At the Windigo dock the same thing happened a few years ago.
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

I agree with (the other) Jerry. I have never met a hiker who was not pleasant. I have met many boaters who were great, but several who were horrible and thought that the rules we all follow did not apply to them. Still the good far outnumbered the bad among boaters.
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

And, one thing I was not expecting, from last year's trip. I have always said that Rock Harbor needed a 3-day-limit campground for families who were not boaters and were not backpackers, to be able to stay and experience the island for a couple days. Surprise to me, that is exactly what I found in Windigo, with its 3-night limit! It's been years since I spent more than a quick overnight in Windigo. There were many families who get off the ferry lugging duffel bags, totes, and rolling coolers and set up either in the campground shelters, or in the group sites. I was impressed! And, had great conversations and so on with several of these families. Probably some of the most successful yogi-ing of my backpacking career!
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC