Bug net?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

odd man out
LNT Expert

Bug net?

Post by odd man out »

For which months, if any, do experienced IR backpackers feel a bug head net is desirable or necessary? I'm considering a week-long round trip backpacking trip out of Rock Harbor. It could potentially be sometime from June through mid August.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Bug net?

Post by Ingo »

I always bring one regardless of month, although maybe used it once. But it's an ounce (literally) of insurance if you hit a hatch.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I would always carry a head net on the Island. Since they weigh so little, it's not worth the risks. Black flies will certainly be an issue at some time during your time frame. It all depends on temperatures not the calendar. Likewise for mosquitoes, although for me at least they are more tolerable, especially during daylight hours. Black flies would be unusual in August but no guarantees. Wear light colored clothing to help with black flies.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

I heartily second everything above.

In the nearby Upper Peninsula, I've used a bug net in each month from May through September while camping/backpacking/hiking. The island is quite similar.
odd man out
LNT Expert

Post by odd man out »

Thanks. Sounds like its going on my Christmas wish list. Looking at the Sea to Summit mosquito net.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

I have two Sea to Summits and they work great. One is supposedly infused with Picardin, but I've not noticed a difference.

Long sleeves and, in the worst case, tucking your pants into your socks, help a lot.
Bobcat1
Bushwacker

Post by Bobcat1 »

I take a bug net on just about any backcountry trip, and I keep a spare one in my group first aid/repair kit in case it's needed. I don't necessarily use it on every trip, but it's a lot of protection for minimal weight.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

I agree with the rest of the posts... head nets weigh virtually nothing, compress into a tiny footprint, and are well worth taking. Case in point, during our first trip to Isle Royale in 1999, we stayed a night at East Chickenbone. The mosquitoes were so terrible that we wore our headnets the entire time until the sun went down and the temperature dropped. We even ate dinner while wearing them. They bugs were so bad that two people wandered past us while looking for a campsite and offered to pay us $20 each for both of our nets because they were being eaten alive. We politely declined.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

Backpacker534 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:38 pmThe bugs were so bad that two people wandered past us while looking for a campsite and offered to pay us $20 each for both of our nets because they were being eaten alive. We politely declined. Image
Sounds like a good reason to bring a 2nd head net (or 2), a virtually weightless opportunity...
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

Funny, I always bring a headnet and have never used it. Makes me feel claustrophobic, I guess. That said, as others have pointed out, the weight and space are negligible so why not?
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

The only time I remember using a headnet at ISRO was on the Minong Trail. This is the old man Jerry
Buckeye
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Buckeye »

The only way I wouldn't bring one is if I was going to be on the Lake Superior shoreline the whole time and the extended forecast included a breeze the whole trip. I always bring one, but have only used it once in 5 trips. One evening at West Chickenbone when there was no breeze...
11 DF-WC-MB-3M-RH
14 CH-MB-DF-3M
18 CH-MB-MC-DF-LC
19 MC-MB-3M-RH
21 FL-SB-HL-EC-RH
23 ML-HL-LT-ND-WC