Lodging and Parking in Houghton/Hancock for Plane

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

odd man out
LNT Expert

Lodging and Parking in Houghton/Hancock for Plane

Post by odd man out »

I'm working on the logistics of a 7 day backpacking trip to IR next summer. My plan is to drive to HH (500 mi), spend the night somewhere, take a morning Seaplane flight to RH, backpack 7 days, fly back to HH the morning of day 8, and drive home. I understand flights times are all weather dependent.

Q1: I was wondering if people have a favorite lodging option for that night before the trip to the island. Camping, Air BnB, hotel are are optons for me.

Q2: I see that IR Seaplanes offers parking at their dock for $6/day. Are there cheaper (even free) parking options assuming I could get myself to the dock (taxi, Uber, foot).

Q3: The IR Seaplane web site says they fly every day, but don't give times. How does that scheduling work? Do they typically fly early in the morning? That would be my preference.

I could of course take the RIII instead (although I find the flight option attractive for the potential of saving time and getting some good views). I don't think the travel logistics would change much if I go that route instead. Thanks for any tips.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Lodging and Parking in Houghton/Hancock for Plane

Post by dcclark »

Q1: The Ramada in Hancock is about as close as you can get to the seaplane dock and still be in a hotel. It's fine, nothing special. Hancock Campground is a cheaper choice if you're OK with another night of camping. :)

Q2: I'm not aware of good overnight parking options in Houghton-Hancock, unless you have a friend with a driveway!

Q3: When you make your reservation, you'll have a choice of times (depending on what's still available). I think 8 am is the earliest start, which is what I chose for this year's trip.

Enjoy! :)
odd man out
LNT Expert

Post by odd man out »

dcclark wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:06 pm...Q3: When you make your reservation, you'll have a choice of times (depending on what's still available)...
Thanks. The reservation form has no times to choose from. So is that done later?
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

odd man out wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:39 pm
dcclark wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:06 pm...Q3: When you make your reservation, you'll have a choice of times (depending on what's still available)...
Thanks. The reservation form has no times to choose from. So is that done later?
As soon as you choose a type of ticket (e.g. round trip), a calendar and time menus appear. I see departure options for 8 am, 10 am, 2 pm, and 4 pm EDT.