Trip planning

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

odd man out
LNT Expert

Trip planning

Post by odd man out »

I'm thinking on doing an 8 day solo backpacking trip to IR in July or early Aug. I would probably do a round trip from Rock Harbor ex Houghton on the RIII. I have previously hiked 3 days on the AT in Shenandoah NP, 5 days on the AT in Central VA, 4 day traverse of Pictured Rocks NL, and a 5 day Hermit Loop in the Grand Canyon last May. Back in 1984 I stayed 4 nights at the RH Housekeeping cabins, so a return trip is long overdue.

I'm thinking an 8 day loop out of RH could get me as far as Chippewa H, Lane C, Todd H, or Hatchet L (but not all of them). It seems that McCargoe C and Moskey B are also listed as favorite campgrounds. What locations should I try to prioritize when putting together an itinerary. BTW, I'm in my mis 60s and prefer to hike to a new camp each day, vs taking a zero. TIA for suggestions.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Trip planning

Post by dcclark »

The best thing about Isle Royale is that you can change plans on the fly. So I'd encourage you to put together just a loose plan with a few goals, and then decide where to go as you feel it. Take it slow and enjoy the sights!

McCargoe and Moskey are two of my personal favorites. But they can also get busy. Not necessarily a bad thing, but arriving early in the day is a good way to get a spot.

Chippewa Harbor is beautiful, but also a dead end and much less popular (except with boaters). If you're looking for quiet, make sure to get there.

Lane Cove is also a dead end, but much more popular (and easier to get to from Rock Harbor). So while it's a beautiful spot, I'd put that one lower on the list.

I know you don't want to take a zero day, but you should definitely plan one in. It will help your plan stay flexible, and avoid the need to push yourself if you need rest (or have a minor injury). Plus, it's highly likely you'll be rained out at least one day, so you might need that zero day anyhow!
odd man out
LNT Expert

Post by odd man out »

Thanks. In the itineraries I have been building, I can easily envision ways to modify them on the fly, including adding a zero if necessary. But I still have to submit a daily plan for the backcountry permit, correct?

WRT getting a spot at a busy campground, I was assuming that as a solo tenter, I would be sharing a campsite. I was under the impression there should always be room for one more.
dcclark
May actually live on IR

Post by dcclark »

You do submit a daily plan when getting permitted, but you're free to modify that as much as you like. The rangers might ask you to update it when you are leaving the island, although that's been hit-or-miss for me.

You're correct about sharing tent sites; I was commenting on shelters. They can be in high demand and are less commonly shared. Shelter sites also tend to be "better" (e.g. on the water, good views, etc.) compared to tent sites. But if you're happy to stay in the tent, that will make life considerably easier for you!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I think you could make both Todd H and Chippewa H with 8 days, but it all depends on your daily mileage, of course. Choosing between them would be tough for me, so I'll call it arbitrary, but they're both great if you can hit them both. Hatchet is fine, but not esp special, although a possible stop if looping through Todd and you're not up to the 12ish miles between Todd and West Chickenbone. W Chickenbone and Lake Richie are probably the nicest interior sites, although likely to be buggier than the Superior sites. And you've probably read that almost everyone will avoid East Chickenbone if possible. I tend to agree that while Lane Cove is nice, it's become rather busy and I would focus on heading west away from R.H.

As far as priorities, I would focus on what I consider the 3 essential elements of I.R.: the lakeshore, the ridge, and the interior lakes. So make it a point to hit Mounts Franklin and Ojibway for the ridge views. And as much as folks recommend taking the Tobin Harbor trail over the Rock Harbor trail between R.H. and Three Mile, I think you miss part of the essence of I.R. if you don't do a shoreline trail.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

A few more thoughts:

-I'm envious! You're going to have a grand trip!!
-something that could add options (but also would add complications, de facto deadlines, and expense) is incorporating a leg on the Voyageur, which can deliver you to Chippewa from RH, or collect you at Chippewa and deliver you to points (pretty far!) west, or collect you at McCargo and deliver you to RH. And it's fun to ride around on! Maybe the simplest variation on this idea that visits some of your high points is to squiggle your way across ridges, over shores, and basins, harbors, and interior lakes to McCargo, then exit from there via Voyageur.
dcclark
May actually live on IR

Post by dcclark »

torpified wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:42 am Maybe the simplest variation on this idea that visits some of your high points is to squiggle your way across ridges, over shores, and basins, harbors, and interior lakes to McCargo, then exit from there via Voyageur.
We did just this back in 2017, and it was great -- highly recommended. A long, slow slackpack "across the grain" from Chippewa to McCargoe. It could easily be expanded if you're willing to do a few more miles each day (and not take a zero day). (Link to the start of my blog posts about that trip, in case it's helpful.)
odd man out
LNT Expert

Post by odd man out »

Thanks for the ideas. I recall looking into the voyager option once and found its schedule didn't mesh well with the Ranger III.

When looking at maps, my plan would be to do the RH trail one way, and Tobin Harbor the other, to get both. On out last trip in 1984, we took the Voyager to daisy farm and hiked back via the Ridge an TH. It was kind of funny as we had booked a shuttle to DF. But as we got there, the boat turned left and started out toward the open lake. I told a crew member about our booking. He looked around and said uh oh, went up to talk to the captain, and we turned around. I sometime wonder what would have happened if I wasn't paying attention and a proficient map reader.

Something like 3M, Moskey, McCargoe, Todd, Hatchet, Chicken W, Daisy, RH (via Ojibway/Franklin) would be an 8 night loop that hits nearly every trail NW of Hatchet, except CH and LC. I think all those are under 10 mile days.