West end spring trip

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

West end spring trip

Post by dcclark »

Hi all, since it's winter and we could all use some cheerful thoughts about backpacking trips, I thought I'd post about my upcoming trip here and see what advice you can offer.

My wife and I are planning a week-long west end trip, starting May 23rd. Plane reservations are already made. This will be my 4th backpacking trip on the island, her 3rd, but this is our first visit to the west end. We're also experienced mainland backpackers in similar settings (e.g. the Porcupine Mountains).

Our main goals are to see a new part of the island, take it slow, and enjoy ourselves. No mega-days needed nor desired. The current plan is:

Day 1: Fly from Hancock at 8 am, arrive Windigo, hike to Feldtman (8.8 mi)
Day 2: Siskiwit (10.3 mi)
Day 3: Rest day at Siskiwit Bay
Day 4: Island Mine (4.4 mi)
Day 5: Back to Windigo (6.9 mi)
Day 6: Hugginin (4.6 mi)
Day 7: Back to Windigo via whichever side of Huginnin we haven't done, and fly out at 5 pm

There's a lot of flexibility -- our rest day is provisionally at Siskiwit Bay since I've heard so many good things about it, but we'll move it around as the mood (and weather) strikes us. If the seaplane is delayed, the rest day gives us a cushion, and we could also cut out Huginnin and redistribute that time if needed. Or maybe we could reverse the whole plan and start at Huginnin -- who knows?

We're familiar with mid-late May weather on the island, such as you can ever be familiar with that. Perhaps my biggest worry is the potential for cold and wet weather -- I know there's no good way to predict it, I just don't enjoy being cold and huddled up in a tent. But what can you do?

An actual point for discussion: I use lightweight trail runners for backpacking and love them. But, would you use those on the island in mid-late May?

Any other thoughts you have are welcome!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: West end spring trip

Post by Ingo »

I did the loop the end of May a few yrs ago and trails were very wet and muddy. Very thankful I decided to bring high gaiters, which helped keep water out of the boots. Lots of mud holes over the toes and a couple of spots with water higher than the ankles. Trekking poles were also my dear friend navigating some spots. My traditional leather boots did well, keeping the feet dry (along with the gaiters) until the 3rd day when they soaked through--should have oiled them a couple more times before the trip! If you stick with trail runners, expect to be wet all the time--but I know some folks are fine with that. And heck, I was hiking in wet(ish) boots the last couple days anyways. Either way, bring camp shoes and plenty of socks (don't expect them to dry).

I went the opposite direction and was happy with that. The uphill hikes are a little gentler clockwise, at least for someone in my shape (or lack thereof). A couple of other thoughts on direction: Island Mine is a nice spot in the woods in the spring, but if you hit it first you improve your CGs as you go. It's then a short downhill hike to Siskiwit and you can have the better part of the day there. Then make the call to stay or move on to Feldtmann, which I did. I enjoyed the extra day at Feldtmann and the chance to explore along Rainbow Cove. It was also very windy and cold at Siskiwit (as nice as it is) and I figured I'd be happier moving on the trail than huddled in a shelter all day. Lots of moose at Feldtman, too.

I'd make Huginnin at the end if you can, beautiful spot. Site #1 is the best, but also most exposed to a north or west wind. And if the weather's just that bad, you can hang at Windigo of course. Shelter #1 is my favorite, at the end closest to the harbor, and rather private. And not to get your hopes up, but there's a slight chance of a hot shower--they'll open them up as soon as they get the hot water working, even if before the official opening. I missed it by a couple hrs apparently...

Have a great trip! You can't go wrong--as you know!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
dcclark
May actually live on IR

Post by dcclark »

Thanks, Ingo. I really like the idea to do the Feldtman loop clockwise, that sounds better in many ways. Thanks also for the shelter and site recommendations. :) I think Huginnin will stay at the end of the trip, since it would give us more flexibility.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

A few years ago, I walked the Feldtmann loop, ccw, about a week later than you're planning. It was tremendous! The early season benefits include low probabilities of crowds, bugs, and view-obscuring leafs. The anti-benefits are cold and wet, but if you bring an extra pair of socks, bonus fuel and food, good rain layers, a weather-proof tent, and high spirits, it can actually be kind of fun to cope with that. Being stuck in a tent is a good occasion to work on your trail journals!

Trail runners: conditions are going to vary considerably from day to day and year to year. I think I got from Windigo to Feldtmann to Siskiwit dryfoooted, only to wade through serious soakers during my ill-judged and hapless crossing of Siskiwit point. None of the trail seemed so technical that I'd have appreciated something more burly than trail runners. If that's what I was used to, I'd be inclined to stick with them, but bring a bonus set of lightweight camp shoes (or bread bags) in case my trail runners got drenched during the day. And if they did, I'd assure myself, as I pulled them on in the morning, that wool insulates even when wet. I'd also take solace in the inevitability, especially if I were about to cross Siskiwit point, that whether or not they started out dry, they'd be totally saturated within an hour.

Feldtmann Lake was my favorite campsite, due to its absurd surfeit of moose, but due also the short and enjoyable jaunt to Rainbow Cove, which is the sort of place that rewards visits at different times of day and in different weathers. I know you'll know to look for the short detour to the steam engine along the trail from Siskiwit to Island Mine, and the Island Mine remains, and probably a dozen other things I'm totally unaware of. And I envy you the night you're planning at Huginnin. I've been through twice, and each time thought "this would be a really cool place to stay"!
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

torpified wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:07 am I know you'll know to look for the short detour to the steam engine along the trail from Siskiwit to Island Mine ...
Somehow I missed the obvious. Apparently it's behind the slag pile, which I stood right next to, a few steps off the trail.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
dcclark
May actually live on IR

Post by dcclark »

The old boiler is high on my list of things to find, along with any other remnants of the Island Mine (like the well, and the powder house on Senter Point). Mine ruins are definitely one of the highlights of hiking on the island for me!
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

dcclark wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:50 am The old boiler is high on my list of things to find, along with any other remnants of the Island Mine (like the well, and the powder house on Senter Point). Mine ruins are definitely one of the highlights of hiking on the island for me!
I remember a well right on the trail, possibly even signed! Like Ingo says, the boiler is behind the tailings pile. I don't know if sneakymonkey is monitoring the forums right now, but I'm pretty sure she and her crew not only came across the powder house but got an interpretive tour from researchers/renovators they improbably encountered there!

Another human history question: there's at least one crumbling structure on Feldtman Ridge, on the Siskiwit side of the fire tower. What's its story? (I think I can rule out fishing camp!)
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

torpified wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:48 am Another human history question: there's at least one crumbling structure on Feldtman Ridge, on the Siskiwit side of the fire tower. What's its story? (I think I can rule out fishing camp!)
I believe it's an old wooden fire tower.
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

for those who have missed the steam engine (which i thought was a locomotive at first), here it is
Attachments
DADC4890-1EE6-4720-911E-EA9614751AAE.jpeg
dcclark
May actually live on IR

Post by dcclark »

That's the thing! It's a "horizontal stationary steam engine", very similar to the type that would be used in a train engine, but also commonly used to power machinery at mines. You can find nearly identical ones scattered around the woods in the Copper Country... they were too heavy to bother to move, and too common for anybody to want to buy (and haul) somebody else's, much less haul it off of an island!
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

The USGS topo map also shows a cemetery nearby. Refer to the 10+ year old thread linked below for more details and GPS coordinates.

Link ---> viewtopic.php?p=12674#p12674
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

The old pile of timbers a half mile or so east of the current tower on the ridge is indeed the remains of the original Feldtman Ridge fire tower, built by CCC crews in 1930's after the huge fire season in 1936. Last time I was through there, I think there was still an old outhouse just into the woods north of the lumber pile. That was a while ago, though - 1996?
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
dcclark
May actually live on IR

Post by dcclark »

There's also an old outhouse a bit into the woods at the Ojibway tower, just down the hill in the Rock Harbor direction.
rich
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by rich »

I used trail runners during my trip last May (and my trip prior to that). The Rock Harbor Trail was especially swamped, almost a stream in some cases! My feet were soaked each day, but the shoes dry out reasonably well. I had an extra pair of hiking socks so I could alternate day to day and dry camp socks w/crocs for in-camp. Putting those on after a long hike was heavenly. Had I worn my regular, waterproof Solomon hiking boots they would have been heavier and also soaked as they wouldn't dry out at all. I've been a trail runners convert for several years now.

I'll echo what others have said for parts of your itinerary...Feldtmann is a terrific campground...Feldtmann Ridge is a gorgeous hike...Siskiwit Bay is a nice place to take an extra day, though part of my reason for that is the swimming and you'll likely not want to do that in May! Be sure to hike on the beach on the way out of Siskiwit Bay enroute to Island Mine.
2018: Feldtmann Lake, Siskiwit Bay, Windigo
2019: Chippewa Harbor, Moskey Basin, West Chickenbone, Rock Harbor
2022: Moskey Basin, Lane Cove