Isle Royale 2023 - Hammock Locations

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Isle Royale 2023 - Hammock Locations

Post by Backpacker534 »

I am heading to Isle Royale this year to backpack the Feldtmann Loop with two of my buddies. I have been to the island eight previous times, but always used a tent or stayed in shelters. Since my last trip (11 years ago) I have switched to backpacking with a hammock. I have already looked up the rules governing hammock use on the island, but now I want to find out how easy it is to find good places to use a hammock along the route. I found several threads but nothing too recent.

I plan to take my sleeping pad and ground cover so I can use my tarp as a tent, and my TQ as a sleeping bag if necessary, but would prefer to use my hammock at all the sites.

So, my question is, who can give me advise about tent or group sites at each location that have good places to hang our hammocks. There will be three of us and we will be staying at Feldtmann Lake, Siskiwit Bay, Huginnin Cove, and Washington Creek.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Isle Royale 2023 - Hammock Locations

Post by hooky »

If all three are hammocking, it may be tough. If it just you, then I can help with 2 of your sites.

Feldtmann I hung at campsite #2. You may be able to do multiples here as there's a big hardwood tree that I used for one end.

Siskiwit I hung at campsite #3. This was just enough for a single in order to stay on the pad.

Beyond that I would just recommend that you're in camp early so you have your pick of sites.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Isle Royale 2023 - Hammock Locations

Post by Backpacker534 »

hooky wrote:If all three are hammocking, it may be tough. If it just you, then I can help with 2 of your sites.

Feldtmann I hung at campsite #2. You may be able to do multiples here as there's a big hardwood tree that I used for one end.

Siskiwit I hung at campsite #3. This was just enough for a single in order to stay on the pad.

Beyond that I would just recommend that you're in camp early so you have your pick of sites.
Thanks for the info. This is shaping up to be pretty much what I expected.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk