Could y'all take a look at my LighterPack?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

MongooseBoxing
NewbieCake

Could y'all take a look at my LighterPack?

Post by MongooseBoxing »

Here's my LighterPack gear list for a 9-day trip to IR coming up in the beginning of June:

https://lighterpack.com/r/w8pyl8

I still haven't put food on this list yet but I shouldn't have a problem figuring that out.

Would love some feedback, recs, advice, etc for my gear list. Thanks!
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: Could y'all take a look at my LighterPack?

Post by torpified »

An ENTIRE OUNCE of Dr Bronner's?!

just kidding. It looks pretty lean and mean to me.

To keep the food weight down, you might consider some sort of resupply at Windigo---either mailing a box to yourself (this entails non-trivial logistics, which you can find described on the Grand Portage Isle Royale site) or reprovisioning at the store.
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

Have you decided yet whether you are going solo or with a group of buddies? You can lighten up on your camp kitchen in particular if you can share the water filtration, the cookset, the stove, and some of the first aid items. If it were me, and I was solo, I would bring the whole deck of cards but maybe a mini-deck, to play solitaire. If you are going with a group, I would definitely add a tarp and cord and a few stakes, to give you a gathering space for the rainy times that you might get. For a group of 6, at least a 10x10 tarp. Solo - the tarp decision is a different calculation.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
MongooseBoxing
NewbieCake

Post by MongooseBoxing »

torpified wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:42 am An ENTIRE OUNCE of Dr Bronner's?!
Haha my friend introduced me to ultralight a few months ago and I got hooked, it sometimes looks ridiculous keeping track of something like that but I've enjoyed it and can definitely see the value in scrutinizing basically every item in my backpack, and trying lighten up if possible.

As for resupplying in Windigo, that is the plan. Day 6 at 9:30am is when we would pick that up, so we'd have to pack 5 days of food for the first half of the trip. It definitely takes some planning to time the pickup right but I'm confident it shouldn't be too hard.
MongooseBoxing
NewbieCake

Post by MongooseBoxing »

Bobcat1 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:25 am Have you decided yet whether you are going solo or with a group of buddies? You can lighten up on your camp kitchen in particular if you can share the water filtration, the cookset, the stove, and some of the first aid items. If it were me, and I was solo, I would bring the whole deck of cards but maybe a mini-deck, to play solitaire. If you are going with a group, I would definitely add a tarp and cord and a few stakes, to give you a gathering space for the rainy times that you might get. For a group of 6, at least a 10x10 tarp. Solo - the tarp decision is a different calculation.
I think I'll be doing the route with my buddies.

As for a tarp, I have the Durston X-Mid 1p tent and the rainfly is actually pretty big (67"x100"), and there would be 5 of us. Might be tight but I bet we could all fit under it w/o the inner attached and play some euchre. Another person in my group is bringing a tarp to sleep under, not sure what size it is though.

I'll talk to others about splitting up/sharing our carry for some items, but I think this'll be a "hike your own hike" type of trip.