A little history fun!

Questions regarding the history of the island and historical places on the island.

Moderator: drobarge

RedLeg
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

A little history fun!

Post by RedLeg »

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one in the forums here who has set eyes on this piece of island history! Who will be the first to correctly identify where I found it?

Also, can anyone help me identify what make / model stove it was from the pics? I'm thinking this is maybe a mid to late 1800s model stove, clearly designed to be put together.

Taken: May 20, 2023 12:00pm

I removed all the geolocation metadata from the image.

Edit 6/6 - Added two more photos that might help
Attachments
20230520_115632 (Large).jpg
20230520_120036.jpg
stove
stove
22' Moosewatch #4
22' RH-CI-MB-IL-WL-CH-MB-RH / 13d packraft
21' RH-DF-MB-CH-MC-MB-3M-RH / 11d
RedLeg
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: A little history fun!

Post by RedLeg »

Well, I guess I'll let the cat out of the bag on this one.

These are pics of the stove that Martin Halloran used inside his fishing shack. The stove and the stone pile from the flue are the only things rremaining on the site his old shack. The stove was clearly repurposed from somewhere else on the island, probably one of the old bunkouses or similar. It's far too large for his shack and lacks most the fancy options a home or camp stove of the time had. I'm not an expert but if i had to throw out a guess I'd date it to around the mid / mid later 1800's based on the shape and basic design.

Up on the south side of the ridge behind the cabin, you can clearly see the stone pile that he quarried the flue stones from. The flue stone pile near the cabin was difficult to locate even in May, but there was no question it wasn't a natural pile of stone. The ridge also sported some wild strawberries blossoms awaiting spring pollination and some Thimbleberry bushes starting to pop up.
22' Moosewatch #4
22' RH-CI-MB-IL-WL-CH-MB-RH / 13d packraft
21' RH-DF-MB-CH-MC-MB-3M-RH / 11d