any current moose/wolf counts?

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

any current moose/wolf counts?

Post by JerryB »

I may have missed it, but is there an update from the winter study on moose and wolves (pups,…)?
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Re: any current moose/wolf counts?

Post by Ingo »

Last year the report didn't come out until late Aug. I didn't hear any numbers until I was actually there in July and then got different answers--there's another group that started making estimates using a different method, with pretty different results.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

JerryB,
You know they are there. In early Sept. last year, one almost walked over me on my walk back to the Windigo store, from the campground.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

jerry wrote:JerryB,
You know they are there. In early Sept. last year, one almost walked over me on my walk back to the Windigo store, from the campground.
Ha!

Years ago, my buddy and I did the Feldtmann Loop and ended at Washington Creek.

I was at the shelter, and my buddy had wandered off to get water. I heard him yell, and I went running toward his voice. We ran into one another a shelter or two away from ours. He was ok. He asked if I had just seen the moose. I hadn't.

He said he was walking down the boardwalk and heard something crashing through the wood in his direction. All of a sudden he saw the moose almost on top of him, so he jumped off the boardwalk, and it ran past him.

He figured it must have been startled by something further up ahead of his location. It could have been a bad situation, but since he was not injured, we had a good laugh over his close encounter! Image

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

I like the creek (Wash. Crk.) next to the CG. Usually a spot to view the moose. Sometimes a bull looking for a date in September.
grandrapidsjack
NewbieCake

Post by grandrapidsjack »

Mlive.com suggested that the researchers are sharing some information via social media.
I have not looked for the researchers' social media accounts though.
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

The rangers are saying there are about 800 moose and thirty wolves on the island, but i have no idea if there is a basis in fact to these claims
RedLeg
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by RedLeg »

I think those are rough estimates from the Winter study researchers before the actuall data is ready for release.
about 2dozen wolves / 2 packs & ~800 moose
22' Moosewatch #4
22' RH-CI-MB-IL-WL-CH-MB-RH / 13d packraft
21' RH-DF-MB-CH-MC-MB-3M-RH / 11d
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

JerryB wrote:The rangers are saying there are about 800 moose and thirty wolves on the island, but i have no idea if there is a basis in fact to these claims
My buddies and I just got off of the island on May 28th. We were told by one of the employees that there were about 900 moose and twenty-some wolves. There were some moose watchers still on the island; two groups at Feldtmann Lake on Wednesday night when we arrived. We also saw Candy and Rolf Peterson. So, maybe they are still gathering numbers? Was there a late start to the study due to bad weather? I always remember having solid numbers by now. But maybe my memory is a bit fuzzy about that after all these years.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk