LighterPack final shakedown

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

MongooseBoxing
NewbieCake

LighterPack final shakedown

Post by MongooseBoxing »

I leave for a 9-day, 100-mile trip on Friday and would appreciate a final shakedown of my LighterPack here:
https://lighterpack.com/r/w8pyl8

I posted this a few weeks ago but I've done a couple shakedown trips since and made some changes so am now looking to finalize everything. Thanks!
odd man out
LNT Expert

Re: LighterPack final shakedown

Post by odd man out »

Nice. We have a lot of the same (or similar) gear. Let me know how the XMid works out. I'm using same tent for my 5 day trip in August. Did you forget tent stakes?
MongooseBoxing
NewbieCake

Post by MongooseBoxing »

I've used the X-Mid for 2 one-nighter trips and I absolutely love it so far. It's crazy how easy it is to set up, the inner is actually pretty big for a 1p tent, & the vestibules are huge. My friend & I waited out a hail storm with high winds and a quick, shitty pitch and it held up very well. Only complaint is the footprint is pretty large.

Good call on the stakes - the weight I listed for the tent includes the stakes which I initially packed in the tent stuff sack but since I've been packing them separate I should definitely add an entry for them to make sure I don't forget them.
Buckeye
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Buckeye »

Nice list.

I noticed you have two cans of fuel. Do you need two cans or would a single larger can give you the 16 boils you need?

I also like to take a small piece of tyvek (2'x4'). Great for covering a wet log for sitting, for setting your pack on when packing or unpacking, and as a vestibule/door mat. Many of the campsites are sandy.
11 DF-WC-MB-3M-RH
14 CH-MB-DF-3M
18 CH-MB-MC-DF-LC
19 MC-MB-3M-RH
21 FL-SB-HL-EC-RH
23 ML-HL-LT-ND-WC
MongooseBoxing
NewbieCake

Post by MongooseBoxing »

I'll actually be boiling 3x a day (breakfast, coffee, dinner), with 7 full days, 1 day with just dinner, and 1 day with just breakfast and coffee, so need 24 boils, which an 8oz canister might fall short of. However I just called the Rock Harbor Lodge and they said even though the Windigo Store isn't open until June 6, if we arrive in Windigo we can still buy basic supplies from there before then, so I think I'll just carry a 4oz canister for days 1-5, then on day 5 pickup another 4oz canister from Windigo (& dump the empty canister there if possible). If I happen to run out before Windigo one of my buddies has a twig-burning stove I can use.

As for tyvek, I looked into it for a footprint for my tent, which I may do someday, but am gonna continue to go without it for now. A smaller piece would be nice though, I'll see if I can find one near me.
RedLeg
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by RedLeg »

I got 2 boils a day from a 4z can for 14nights on the island, i suspect a single 4z can will get you through your trip
22' Moosewatch #4
22' RH-CI-MB-IL-WL-CH-MB-RH / 13d packraft
21' RH-DF-MB-CH-MC-MB-3M-RH / 11d
MongooseBoxing
NewbieCake

Post by MongooseBoxing »

Interesting, what stove do you have? I usually get 12-14 boils from a 4oz can
RedLeg
LNT Expert

Post by RedLeg »

just a jetboil and i'd just boil the dinner water (2cup or less) and my AM coffee (about 16-20z). AM coffee I'd stop as soon as it started to boil but dinner I always bring to a full rolling boil before dumping in the bag. I made tea a few times but it was always on the Solo stove
22' Moosewatch #4
odd man out
LNT Expert

Post by odd man out »

MongooseBoxing wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:30 pm I've used the X-Mid for 2 one-nighter trips and I absolutely love it so far. It's crazy how easy it is to set up, the inner is actually pretty big for a 1p tent, & the vestibules are huge. My friend & I waited out a hail storm with high winds and a quick, shitty pitch and it held up very well. Only complaint is the footprint is pretty large.

Good call on the stakes - the weight I listed for the tent includes the stakes which I initially packed in the tent stuff sack but since I've been packing them separate I should definitely add an entry for them to make sure I don't forget them.
I've used my XMid once, on last year's 5 day Hermit Loop in the Grand Canyon. Tent worked great, but IR and GC are very different. I was thinking of tent stakes as the GC camp sites are like cement. I will be interested to hear how speaking out the Xmid on IR works.
MongooseBoxing
NewbieCake

Post by MongooseBoxing »

Of the two trips I've used it on so far, one was desert camping in Utah and the other was in Michigan along the Manistee River, and the tent & stakes did just fine in both. You do however need to be cautious of pushing them into the ground too hard before making sure it's a soft enough spot (and no rocks that it'll hit), because they do bent very easily. Not a big problem though, just need to be careful of where you drive in the stakes.
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

Just FYI, you might not have the option to buy a 4-oz canister - last time I was there, they had plenty of supplies but only 8-oz cartridges. Quite a few freebies in a milk crate out front of the store, from people dropping them off before taking the seaplane home. All 8-oz. What you could do is take an 8-oz, or 4 oz, plus the 4-oz to finish with and ditch whatever is leftover in the first cartridge into the freebies basket. Someone else might be glad to get just a few more boils on their last night.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
RedLeg
LNT Expert

Post by RedLeg »

New store in Washington Harbor likely won't have opened, old store had just the 8z cans like previously stated.
22' Moosewatch #4
Buckeye
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Buckeye »

MongooseBoxing wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:20 pm I'll actually be boiling 3x a day (breakfast, coffee, dinner), with 7 full days, 1 day with just dinner, and 1 day with just breakfast and coffee, so need 24 boils, which an 8oz canister might fall short of. However I just called the Rock Harbor Lodge and they said even though the Windigo Store isn't open until June 6, if we arrive in Windigo we can still buy basic supplies from there before then, so I think I'll just carry a 4oz canister for days 1-5, then on day 5 pickup another 4oz canister from Windigo (& dump the empty canister there if possible). If I happen to run out before Windigo one of my buddies has a twig-burning stove I can use.
I usually do the same with 2 boils for breakfast (coffee and food) and one in the evening. You might want to try boiling the same amounts at home to see what your burn rate is and add 10-15% for margin. As others have said, the store in Windigo usually sells the larger can. You might check with the rangers at Windigo, they have a crate of unused fuel from the seaplane passengers. You can probably find cans that a large quantity of fuel in them for free.

You might want to verify the twig stove is allowed.
11 DF-WC-MB-3M-RH
14 CH-MB-DF-3M
18 CH-MB-MC-DF-LC
19 MC-MB-3M-RH
21 FL-SB-HL-EC-RH
23 ML-HL-LT-ND-WC
MongooseBoxing
NewbieCake

Post by MongooseBoxing »

Sounds like my best bet is to just take a full 8oz can from the beginning and call it good.

Twig stoves are allowed, solid fuel burning stoves stoves aren't though according to here (not sure what the difference is though):
https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/ ... stoves.htm
RedLeg
LNT Expert

Post by RedLeg »

Twig stoves are allowed, I was carrying a solo . Solid fuel like the esbit stoves with solid fuel pellets. Esbit could be twig but would be horribly inefficient. Rocket or Solo for twig imo
22' Moosewatch #4