Comprehensive descriptions of trails and campsites?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

fuzzy1
NewbieCake

Comprehensive descriptions of trails and campsites?

Post by fuzzy1 »

Is there any sort of comprehensive list of the trails and their terrain/difficulty? Same thing for campsites with description of site numbers, crowds, water access and general coolness/beauty?

I'm planning a trip for mid/late July and I'm trying to figure out a route from Windigo to Rock Harbor in 5 hiking days, sea plane in and out. I did the Mansitee River Trail and Jordan Valley Pathway last year and thought those were moderately easy. My base weight is around 17.5 lbs and I expect to be in decent shape by then.

So far my itinerary is looking like:
Windigo -> South Desor -> Hatchet -> McCargove -> Moskey -> Rock Harbor
or
Windigo -> North Desor -> Todd -> McCargove -> Moskey -> Rock Harbor

Also, how's hammocking at these sites?

TIA, the forum has been invaluable so far!

-Scott
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Comprehensive descriptions of trails and campsites?

Post by Ingo »

This book is considered the definite guide book for Isle Royale: https://www.irkpa.org/product/0151-foot ... dition/884
There's also campground info on this site: http://www.isleroyale.info/campgrounds.html
Note that outhouses have not been stocked with TP since the COVID era--not sure if that will change.

Judging from the last couple years, I'd expect all campgrounds to be full--get an early start if you want a shelter and be prepared to share tent sites, but otherwise don't fret, everyone finds a place. But weird things happen: One trip we were at Daisy Farm, the largest and busiest CG, in late July with only 2 other parties; another trip in late Sept almost all campgrounds we stayed at where full.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

I understand that this won't be much help for planning ahead unless it's available in another format, but---

there is, or used to be, a binder on the IR Queen that had what I remember as quite comprehensive writeups (including profiles) on the Island's trails and (maybe?) campsites. Am I imagining this? If not, is it available in other formats?

If you go by Minong, you might consider the starting sequence

Windigo-NorthDesor-Little Todd-McCargove-...

The stretch of trail between ND and LT might be the most challenging (and fun!) on the island, which is a reason to make that (and not Todd-McCargove---nice portmanteau, by the way!) the "short" day.
odd man out
LNT Expert

Post by odd man out »

I was just reading my DuFresne guide book. It is a first edition, first printing from my first trip in 1984. I'm planning a second trip for this summer. I'm thinking not much has changed with regard to trails. Is that a reasonable assumption?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

odd man out wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:30 am I was just reading my DuFresne guide book. It is a first edition, first printing from my first trip in 1984. I'm planning a second trip for this summer. I'm thinking not much has changed with regard to trails. Is that a reasonable assumption?
I believe the trail(s) between Feldtmann and Windigo have been significantly rerouted since then--and there used to be an East Feldtmann trail that cut pretty directly across the swamp. I'd guess the Minong trail could be the other place there may have been some lesser reroutings, but things should generally be the same. Just speculating, but think most changes are probably in wet/beaver/boardwalk arenas.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
fuzzy1
NewbieCake

Post by fuzzy1 »

I got a copy of the fifth edition from my public library, it’s excellent. Great descriptions of all the trails and campsites. Highly recommend it.

Scott
odd man out wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:30 am I was just reading my DuFresne guide book. It is a first edition, first printing from my first trip in 1984. I'm planning a second trip for this summer. I'm thinking not much has changed with regard to trails. Is that a reasonable assumption?
Kelly
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Kelly »

The binder of information that torpified reference is also available here. I've found it to be quite thorough.
2012 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2026 A Minong thorough hike
S_R_L
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by S_R_L »

Kelly wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:43 pm I've found it to be quite thorough.
Yep, great resource!
'22: RH-LC-DF-MB-CH-DF-3M-RH
'21: RH-DF-MB-MC-HL-Malone-SD-WC ~75 miles hiked including side trips.
'20: WC-FL-SB-IM-WC
'18: RH-DF-MB-ECB-DF-RH
'16: RH-LC-DF-TM-RH
'14: WC-HC-WC