Altra Lone Peak Trail Runners

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Altra Lone Peak Trail Runners

Post by JerryB »

I got off the island on May 25. I was very undecided whether to wear my Lone Peaks or my waterproof boots, given the time of year, expected mud, temperatures, etc. At the last minute I went with the Lone Peaks. They worked great—comfortable, super light, no blisters and quick drying when they got a bit wet. Now, the trails were not deep in mud so the worst conditions were not present, but i am happy with my choice.

One note—while tying my shoes on day 2 or 3, the lace cut right through one of the eyelets. I was able to use a nearby weep hole and got along fine. The shoes were over one year old and out of warranty but Altra offered to replace them free of charge anyway with the newest model. I get the new shoes today. Very impressive!
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Altra Lone Peak Trail Runners

Post by dcclark »

I did the same (brought red Line Peak 6s -- the red makes then go faster :P ). I agree on all counts.

They work very well even in deep mud -- I've used them that way in the Porcupine Mountains in May. Because they dry so fast, I'm more willing to just trudge through the middle. It takes a real change of mindset though to convince yourself that it's ok to get wet!
Buckeye
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Buckeye »

Another vote for Altra trail runners. I wore a pair of Altra TIMP v1 on two trips to the island. I'd like to wear the same pair this year, but the tread is nearly smooth! I replaced them with a pair of Altra Olympus v4. I use a pair of superfeet inserts to increase the sole stiffness. The only gripe I have with Altra is they change the shoe significantly when they update. When you find a version that fits, it usually doesn't on the next revision.
My hiking buddies have been skeptical each trip and wear waterproof boots. This year they are going shopping for trail runners.
11 DF-WC-MB-3M-RH
14 CH-MB-DF-3M
18 CH-MB-MC-DF-LC
19 MC-MB-3M-RH
21 FL-SB-HL-EC-RH
23 ML-HL-LT-ND-WC
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

i use the super feet inserts as well
kenlarson
NewbieCake

Post by kenlarson »

Use them for over 10 years without any issues as well as Chacos Sandals.