Itinerary feedback!

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Akitas_Hiking
NewbieCake

Itinerary feedback!

Post by Akitas_Hiking »

First time heading to the island with my wife! As of right now, we are planning Windigo to Rock Harbor along the Minong from May 29th to June 3rd, flying in via seaplane. Although now I'm second guessing myself and thinking maybe we shouldn't do a full trek across the island. We are still within our window to make changes to our seaplane reservations.

Our tentative plans would be
Day 1 May 29th - 8am seaplane on the 29th. Day hikes around the western portion of the island to do, see and explore. Set up camp at Huginnin Cove for the night.
Day 2 May 30th - Hike to N Lake Desor & camp
Day 3 May 31st - Hike to Little Todd Harbor & camp (I've read this is a beautiful campsite that shouldn't be missed, but you tell me!) We could also swap this for Hatchet Lake?
Day 4 June 1st - Hike up to Todd Harbor & camp
Day 5 June 2nd - Hike to McCargoe Cove & camp
Day 6 June 3rd - Trek up to Rock Harbor & have a fat cheeseburger and a beer at the restaurant, board our 3pm seaplane back to Houghton.

What changes should we make, if any? Like I mentioned, we aren't opposed to just staying on the Windigo side of the island instead of Point A to Point B. We tried to give ourselves ample time to make the most of our trip. We want to do the hiking, but also really enjoy the scenery and views. We're active & fit, backpack the Smokies a lot and are really just looking forward to the solitude we've read about on this island.

Thanks for the feedback!
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Itinerary feedback!

Post by Bobcat1 »

Day 6 is a substantial day of hiking, across the grain of the island. You might consider options that will have you closer to Rock Harbor, although McCargoe is a great campground.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I tend to be in the less is more camp, with that in mind, a few thoughts:
I'll second Bobcat on the last day. That's a heck of a hike to catch a 3:00 plane, at least for most folks. If you just push on through you won't get much appreciation of that end of the island. But since I haven't done an end-to-end myself, or the Minong Ridge for that matter, I'll let others suggest other options. From all reports, N Desor would be a hard day off the plane, especially if delayed, while Island Mine is a fairly easy hike (one I have done).

For a more laid back trip I'd consider the Feldtmann Loop on the west end, with Hugininn Cove at the end. You would have plenty of time for a down day at Siskiwit Bay, Feldtmann Lake, or Huginnin Cove--I'd take any one. Siskiwit Bay is a great site, as is Feldtmann Lake where moose like to wander the shore of the lake and through the campground. The side trip to Rainbow Cove is a must do where you can catch the sunset over the lake (weather permitting, of course). Huginnin is a beautiful site as well, with a rougher shoreline than the beaches at Siskiwit and Rainbow Cove. And even Island Mine, which often gets a thumbs down, is pretty nice in the spring before everything is leafed out and there's plenty of water.

That time of year you should be prepared for wet and cold, probably not below freezing, but possible. I did the last week of May and had 3 days of rain in the 40s and 50s and it never got above 60. Trails were very wet, muddy, and flooded in spots. But like always, it was great, just be prepared.

Have fun planning and a great trip! (you will :D )
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

I agree that getting to Rock Harbor in time for a cheeseburger before meeting the plane could mean skedaddling on Day 6. A way to finesse that while sticking with the Minong plan would be to press on past Todd Harbor to McCargo on day 4, then target Daisy Farm or 3 Mile on Day 5. 3 Mile would give you an excuse to cover even more of the ridgiest part of the Greenstone Ridge.

That would make Day 4 a 13+ mile day, with some of the toughest (and most fun) stretches at the outset. But if you're comfortable with the Days 2 and 6 you're envisioning, that's doable---especially with as much daylight as you'll have in early June.

Little Todd is amazing! And so is the Feldtmann/Hugginin itinerary Ingo and bobcat are sketching! You'll have fun whatever you do---and want to come back so that you can do more of whatever you didn't do!
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

Welcome to the IR Forums Akitas_Hiking! Your dining options in Rock Harbor may be limited until they fully open for service on 6/7/24.

Greenstone Grill, Rock Harbor
Days of Operation:
> Dining Services will begin June 7th, 2024.
> There will be limited food services available from May 24th to June 6th, 2024.

https://www.rockharborlodge.com/dining/ ... odge-rooms
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

Another bit of encouragement to stay at one end and really get to know it. The west end offers many lovely loops.

One of the truths of Isle Royale is that you'll be back, so don't worry about trying to see everything at once (as you can see from the trickiness of your itinerary, that's hard to do). I find that most people who spend time enjoying the scenery at one end have a better experience than those who try to squeeze everything into a short time.
Akitas_Hiking
NewbieCake

Post by Akitas_Hiking »

Thank you all so much for the insight, I really appreciate the responses. You've given us so much to think about and consider.

I think we're realizing a point to point trip may not be the best option for our first time. I think we'll end up staying on the west end! And if it's true what they say, that we will return, we can explore the east end then.

Upon arrival, do the rangers usually go over your itinerary with you? Is that where we would get feedback on trail conditions? As someone above pointed out, (thank you!!) we will pack clothes and gear expecting spring weather and mud!
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Akitas_Hiking wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:44 pm Upon arrival, do the rangers usually go over your itinerary with you? Is that where we would get feedback on trail conditions?
Ideally, yes. But at that time of year they'll be just staffing up and training, so it may or may not be very helpful. I read at least one report where someone who flew in was instructed to self-register at the picnic shelter by the dock. Probably depends on how many are on the plane and staffing of rangers.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

Two simple ways to make your trip work out better, taking you at your word that you are experienced and fit for long trail days. 1. Do like Torpified suggests, enjoy lunch at Todd Harbor (one of my favorite campgrounds) and go on to McCargoe Cove. Three-Mile your last night gets you time to get that cheeseburger and also to hike the Stoll Trail out to Scoville Point, a signature short (4-mile) hike that has been featured as the best on Isle Royale. Grab a campsite or shelter to set your gear in while eating, hiking, souvenir shopping etc, in Rock Harbor. The campground is just a short distance from the ferry dock.

A Second option is to take the Greenstone Ridge trail out of Windigo, and figure out your days based on that. More people, but better trail, less navigating, etc. For your first visit, this would be the classic point-to-point hike. The Minong Trail is deliberately meant to be a greater challenge, traversing rougher terrain with longer days, less trail improvements, and so on. Many of us have fallen into creeks while crossing logs, gotten lost off the trail into swamps, and so on. Hard to fully recommend the Minong for a first-time visitor. Also, early season, the MUD will be spectacular on stretches of the Minong.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC