Rain jacket or windbreaker replacement

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

cherrypinklimeade
NewbieCake

Rain jacket or windbreaker replacement

Post by cherrypinklimeade »

My 20+ year old Columbia jacket has finally passed the point of being sufficient repairable to keep me dry, plus I have the funds to upgrade. It was good enough to keep me dry in a drizzle or light rain almost all day. I'm looking to replace it with something that will do the same, or possibly going with something that'll keep me dry in a steadier rain. What are some of your favorite recommendations?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Rain jacket or windbreaker replacement

Post by Ingo »

The Marmot Precip is an old standby for light and waterproof. Mine is still going strong after at least 10 years, although not a ton of use beneath a pack since I do more paddling. Looks like it's now the "Precip Eco", so not sure how it's changed. Also have a similar North Face I like, but that's mostly my around the town jacket that has only seen 1 backcountry trip (when I temporarily "lost" my Precip and bought it at the last minute).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

I have had good experiences with several brands of waterproof/breathable fabrics including REI’s brand and Helly-Hansen. My all time favorite for waterproofness, keep-me-from-hypothermia is GoreTex, but that parka is heavier and bulkier to pack than my REI Elements jacket. My rain pants have been REI Elements for more than 30 years now, I think it’s been four successive pairs as I wear them out. I use rain pants a lot hiking on Isle Royale to keep from getting cold and soaking wet from wet underbrush along the trails in the mornings.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

I will throw in my two cents for what it's worth. Many years ago, I finally purchased a set of Frogg Toggs (pants and jacket) after using two other types of rain jackets for several years.

I have been pleased with how lightweight they are and much less bulky than my other two rain jackets I have used.

Myself and two friends visited Isle Royale last May. We had sunny skies and no rain, but we did get some cold nights and very strong winds, especially during our first day (Windigo to Feldtmann Lake).

I had a lightweight brushed fabric base layer, a wool blend midlayer, and an Eddie Bauer 1/4-zip to round out my clothing for layering and warmth. I used my Frogg Toggs jacket as a windbreaker on top of my layers, and it worked well for me. And, if it rained, I still would have been all set.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

cherrypinklimeade wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:15 am I'm looking to replace it with something that will do the same, or possibly going with something that'll keep me dry in a steadier rain.
If you want another jacket that will last 20+ years, I recommend the Arc'Teryx Beta. Yep, it's wicked expensive, but it'll last forever and Arc'Teryx stands behind its gear. I've never had a problem getting something repaired or replaced from them when the gear is years old. Good gear is an investment!
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

fonixmunkee wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:20 pm If you want another jacket that will last 20+ years, I recommend the Arc'Teryx Beta. Yep, it's wicked expensive, but it'll last forever and Arc'Teryx stands behind its gear. I've never had a problem getting something repaired or replaced from them when the gear is years old. Good gear is an investment!
I second this. I have some wacky Arcteryx Beta variation that's lasted me for years with no visible wear. I got it on an end-of-season super sale, apparently because it was designed exactly for me (tall, skinny, and especially monkey-like arms). It's reinforced in "high traffic" backpacker zones like shoulders and upper back.