South Shore campsite choices?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Bobcat1
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 8

South Shore campsite choices?

Post by Bobcat1 »

Anyone have advice on backcountry campsites along the stretch from Rainbow Cove to Point Houghton? Also, what physical features delineate BCZ 44 and 45? Planning a late-summer kayak trip starting at Windigo and ending at Rock Harbor, with a day or two to explore along this particular stretch of shoreline.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
RedLeg
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: South Shore campsite choices?

Post by RedLeg »

That sounds like a pleasant hike
22' Moosewatch #4
22' RH-CI-MB-IL-WL-CH-MB-RH / 13d packraft
21' RH-DF-MB-CH-MC-MB-3M-RH / 11d
Dogger
NewbieCake

Post by Dogger »

A few hundred yards after the Head there is a strip of flat ground just inside the treeline. Do hook around the point at Long Point. Used to be a fish camp there. Spend some time exploring a couple of falling down camps. There are places to tent,just a nice spot. You might even find some moose antlers. Attwood Beach has about a 4ft. Embankment to get up to camp. The ground is not very good for a tent. It does have a nice big flat beach easy for a tent. Little Boat Harbor has a tent spot on the west side.
This section has quite a few beaches. The shore just slopes into the water. A lot of it is rock, but not at all like going from Malone to Middle Islands Passage.after the islands at malone you will have cliffs and rock.
Have fun
Dogger
NewbieCake

Post by Dogger »

Bobcat 1 just saw your itinerary. 30 days to do the south shore awesome. Little Boat Harbor does not open to camping until August 1.
I am slso starting my trip from windigo. June 18 going clockwise and departing on july 17. Will see you on the 16th. Going to try and have a shelter on beaver Island for the 16th
Bobcat1
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

Actually, that plan is perfect - I will see you on Beaver Island, an hour or two after the Ranger3 arrives. My plan is all about camping on all the sites where hikers can’t get to, so my trip looks like 4 parts: south shore Windigo-Malone Bay, inland lakes Malone-Chippewa, 5 Fingers region after paddling to Rock Harbor and around as far as Birch Island, and then whatever time I have left I will spend enjoying the offshore side of Rock Harbor. Some days will be quite short on paddling, but distance isn’t the issue. I just have this goal to have camped at every campground. I’ll be driving the red Feathercraft!
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC