Weather Radio

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

Careisin
NewbieCake

Weather Radio

Post by Careisin »

I have a question that previous posts didn't seem to quite answer for me. The week I plan to be backpacking in Isle Royale, it looks like there's a good chance of rain a few of those days. Since I don't want to depend on my phone, I thought a weather radio would be helpful. However I've never actually used one before. What I'd want to know is if I wake up and it's raining, is there a likely hood it will stop? If the weather forecasted it to end around 11:00, I'll just read in my tent until then and pack up and hike when it's dry. If the weather is predicted to rain all day, then I'll get up and start hiking in the rain.

Would something like this be helpful?
https://www.amazon.com/Midland-Emergenc ... 9hdGY&th=1
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: Weather Radio

Post by Ingo »

A weather radio won't give you that kind of detail, but a general forecast for the area. The forecast area will for mainland, either the UP, NE Minnesota, or Canada depending on the station you can get. It will also give a Lake Superior forecast, which is often most useful. It is helpful to be familiar with counties and towns on the mainland since each station covers a large area and can leave you wondering if you need to be worried or not (e.g. storms). Reception can be iffy depending on where you're at, but certainly more reliable than virtually non-existent cell coverage.

With that said, I always bring one when paddling, since wind and waves are obviously a huge safety issue. But when backpacking I leave it home, prepare for any weather, and take it as it comes. At best you may get some idea what to expect, but rarely anything you can rely on.
24: MI-MB-MI, 22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-TM-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

I brought a weather radio to the island a few times for backpacking, and I leave it home now, for all the reasons Ingo mentioned. You'll be served at least as well by reading a detailed NWS forecast just before you leave.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Ingo »

dcclark wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:04 am You'll be served at least as well by reading a detailed NWS forecast just before you leave.
Specifically this one, the only one worth paying any attention to: https://forecast.weather.gov/product.ph ... glossary=1
It is also posted at the RH and Windigo Visitor Centers each morning.
24: MI-MB-MI, 22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-TM-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH