Housekeeping cottage numbers & information?

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

rjpifer
NewbieCake

Housekeeping cottage numbers & information?

Post by rjpifer »

Hi! We've been to IR a number of times. This time we're splurging on housekeeping cottages so a family member with limited mobility can join us. We're doing this instead of the lodge so we can be there for a longer period and prepare our own food.

Does anyone have suggestions for information about which cottages are which, what the space around the cottages looks like, etc? We're not worried about her ability to get to the cottages, but she'll be spending most of her time there while we go explore, and we're hoping to understand what her days will look like and if there is any ability to ask about specific cottages with surroundings that would be better fits for "hanging around all day." (She has a fatiguing disorder so that's going to the be plan regardless of where we would stay.)

Thanks!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: Housekeeping cottage numbers & information?

Post by Ingo »

This map is on the NPS site: https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/ ... e_2015.pdf
The housekeeping cabins, with numbers, are at the top of the Rock Harbor inset. I don't think there's much difference, other than the view of Tobin Harbor may vary a bit and 215-218 are the shortest walk to the dock area, by 400-500 ft from the furthest. However, if you have reservations for this year I'd be surprised if the lodge could accommodate any change, given they've been fully booked for a while, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
24: MI-MB-MI, 22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-TM-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
rjpifer
NewbieCake

Post by rjpifer »

Thanks! This is for summer 2025, so we're good on the timing front. Do you happen to know if they're all the same size or if there are some smaller / some larger?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Ingo »

rjpifer wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:47 pm Do you happen to know if they're all the same size or if there are some smaller / some larger?
They're all the same. In fact, identical to the best of my knowledge (full disclosure, I haven't actually been inside one since 1979, lol).
24: MI-MB-MI, 22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-TM-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
rjpifer
NewbieCake

Post by rjpifer »

Ha! Fair. I was in them circa 1990 & age 10, but definitely no memory of the details! Thanks!
Bobcat1
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

I think they are all identical or mirror image. Ask the concessionaire for a recommended unit for your party’s mobility needs. The units sit along a hillside and some may be easier to approach than others, even if they are all similar once you’ve arrived at your unit.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC