Has anyone here used a Knu-Pac?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Lloyd
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Has anyone here used a Knu-Pac?

Post by Lloyd »

Hi all, this is my first post to the forum. I've backpacked Isle Royale in the past, but I'm planning on making my first trip with a canoe next summer. My canoe is a 15ft Alumacraft, which weighs about 60 pounds.

I'd like to portage from Tobin to Duncan to head to Lane/Pickerel Cove and maybe McCargoe. However, I can only manage to carry my canoe 1/4 mile with the current yoke. The weight isn't a problem, but the current yoke pads just destroy my shoulders. I'm thinking I could either make better yoke pads, or modify an external frame pack into something like a Knu-Pac. Has anyone used a pack like that on the island?

For those unfamiliar, a Knu-Pac was an external framed pack with two forks on top for a canoe's yoke to rest in. That transferred the weight of the canoe onto your hips-at least in theory. I've never used one and the company no longer exists.

Also, canoeing from Pickerel to McCargoe Cove looks like it would be pretty exposed. Obviously, the weather would have to be very good to make that route, but is it foolish to even consider in a canoe?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: Has anyone here used a Knu-Pac?

Post by Ingo »

I've never used a Knu-Pac, but FWIW I have found sling style yoke pads the most comfortable for me on heavier canoes (i.e. non-kevlar). If you stick with foam pads, use a med-high density closed cell foam that is thick enough to get/keep the yoke off your neck.

The stretch from Pickerel to McCargoe is completely exposed, and yes, should be approached cautiously. I've canoed it a couple times, but you are correct about needing a good weather window. If you're planning to return the same way, the hardest part is predicting the next day or two. Once at Pickerel most need only an hour or so to get into McCargoe so it's easier to judge. Bring a weather radio (better yet a VHF)--you can usually get a north shore station and Thunder Bay, but be prepared to convert meters/second into mph (if you're not accustomed to m/s). Unless there's a system moving through, wind/waves often build throughout the day, so mornings tend to be best time to travel.

That area is a favorite for me, with great campgrounds all around, but I wouldn't pass on Belle Isle unless weather dictates otherwise. Fabulous sunrises and night skies from the point behind shelter 6. And Pickerel has great sunsets over Herring Bay and the lake. Personally I've never camped at Lane Cove, as nice as it is I think the others are more unique if you're traveling by water. But it's a great trip in any case!
24: MI-MB-MI, 22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-TM-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH